Chance The Rapper: Why he’s so great and so important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

At only 23, the Grammy-winning rapper has captured the hearts of everyone. Chance the Rapper, or Chancellor Jonathan Bennet, has managed to successfully release three mixtapes, tour and create a solid fanbase for himself – all without the help of a label. This in itself is a feat that not many, if any other artists, can achieve. He’s earned the respect of older artists like Kanye West and Jay-Z and made music that’s all his with no big industry influence.

If there’s one word to describe Chance the Rapper it’s bubbly. Chance is always in a seemingly good mood. Even as he performs, he jumps around on stage getting his point across loudly. He’s not obnoxious, if anything he’s endearing. Chance has a vibe that’s solely accepting and inclusive.

Source: Giphy

Chicago-born-and-raised, Chance had always dreamed of being a rapper. In high school, he recorded his debut mixtape “10 Day” in just, well, 10 days. The mixtape was uploaded online and garnered attention from Childish Gambino (Donald Glover), who then invited Chance to tour with him 2012. He would later be featured on Chance’s second mixtape “Acid Rap.”

“Acid Rap,” released in 2013, was the turning point in Chance’s career. Musically speaking, this is when he really found his way with music. “Acid Rap” is where his fanbase really started to develop. From here Chance would go on to work with big name acts like Kanye West (on “The Life of Pablo”) and D.R.A.M..

Chance has performed at festivals such as Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza. In 2016, Chance released his third mixtape, “Coloring Book.” “Coloring Book” has lead him to a new high in his career. It earned him seven Grammy nominations and three Grammy wins (best album, best rap performance, best new artist).

Source: Giphy

So all that being said, what makes Chance the Rapper so special? Who cares? As far as the general public is concerned he’s just another rapper who happened to make it big.

Well, artistically speaking, Chance the Rapper has talent. His incredible range and ability to produce and mix beats shows that he’s no radio-ready wannabe rapper. It’s also important to note that talent recognizes talent. The fact that Kanye West wanted so desperately to work with Chance, even though no one really knew who he was, proves how much other artists saw in him.

Even if you don’t believe that Chance is talented, there’s no denying he’s just a good person. Other than the interest he’s taken in building a better community in Chicago, he’s an artist who cares about his fans. He’s always thankful, and has made it apparent with his upcoming tour that money is not why he does what he does. Tickets to his shows are as cheap as $25, ensuring that fans can buy tickets.

Chance the Rapper also battled with addiction. He’s overcome his addictions and anxieties to produce quality music and make an entire brand for himself. He’s nothing short of incredible and will forever be look up to in the rap industry.

Chance the Rapper will be performing at the Virginia Beach Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater on June 3.

Source: Photo Pin 

Hello! My name is Lindsey Lanham. I go to Old Dominion Univeristy in Norfolk VA, and am currently majoring in journalism with a minor in communication. I am the marketing director for the ODU chapter. I hope to shine light on the local art and artists in Norfolk.
Hi everyone, I'm Petra (PEE-truh) and I'm an ODU alumna who has branched out to sunny Southern California. Following graduation, I didn't have too much of a plan for where I was going in life but I knew to stay in Virginia was not an option. I wanted more than what was offered there so I started applying to almost every job in all my dream cities and life led me to San Diego. I now do sales, marketing and social media management for a great startup company, Voterfied. I love everything about San Diego and the work I'm doing here. So my advice to everyone, get out of your comfort zone! Take that leap of faith and let life guide you to exactly where you're meant to be. HCXO, Petra!