This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ODU chapter.

According to the American Cancer Society, 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. It is estimated that there will be 252,710 new cases of invasive breast cancer among U.S. women this year.

It might be more common than you think. Let’s take a look at some amazing women that you may not know have battled this disease. Here is a list of celebrities who are breast cancer survivors:

Sheryl Crow

Source: Giphy

The Soak Up the Sun singer was diagnosed in 2006 during a routine mammogram. She postponed a world tour and underwent treatment soon after and was able to bypass chemotherapy.

Christina Applegate

Source: Giphy

Doctors only found cancer in one breast, but the actress decided to go ahead with a double mastectomy to reduce the risk of it coming back and spreading. After her experience, she founded a nonprofit organization, Right Action For Women, that provides financial support for women who have a high risk for breast cancer.

Cynthia Nixon

Source: Giphy

The actress that played Miranda on one of the best shows, Sex and the City, originally kept her condition a secret. She later became an ambassador for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation in 2008 when she realized her story could help others.  

Maggie Smith

Source: Giphy

Professor McGonagall of the Harry Potter movies was diagnosed in 2008. She had the lump removed, chemotherapy and radiation all while filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Giuliana Rancic

Source: Giphy

While undergoing in vitro fertilization treatment in 2011, the E! News host discovered she had breast cancer. She returned the E! less than a year after announcing her diagnosis.

Judy Blume

Source: Giphy

The Junie B. Jones author didn’t eat red meat, smoke or drink. There was no history of breast cancer in her family, yet, she was diagnosed in 2012 after a routine ultrasound.

Nancy Reagan

Source: Photopin

In 1987, she was still the First Lady of the White House when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her experience caused a lot of media attention and led an increase in the amount of women having screening mammograms.

Hello! My name is Maggie and I am currently pursuing a degree in English with a concentration in journalism and a minor in communication at ODU. I write about my interests of beauty, music, fashion, and life advice. My uncle once said, "It's not illegal until you get caught," and I think those are words to live by. Follow me on Instagram @gisforglitter