From Waverly Place to Wall Street: 5 Tips for Females in Finance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As the clock strikes 12:15 PM on a less than ordinary Thursday afternoon, I quickly scramble my belongings and storm out of Tisch Hall, attempting to beat the surge of students strolling to class on West 4th Street. I’m lucky if the A/C subway arrives without at least a 7 minute wait. By 12:35 PM, I maneuver out of the Fulton Street station and into a swarm of businessmen and businesswomen heading towards their daily lunch spots in the financial district. As always, I have a mini heart-attack thinking that I may have forgotten my company ID badge, but then to my relief, I discover it in between my accounting notebook and pencil case.

This itself sounds like a lot – yet I haven’t even gotten to my job yet. Being a part-time working girl and a full-time student can definitely be a handful, but there also undeniable perks (especially the $$$). Here are some tips for my fellow Sternies attempting to balance an internship and class and everything in between:

1. Listen, Learn, Ask

My internship is actually a continuation from the summer, and I am definitely a more knowledgeable young woman today than I was on June 28th because of my work experience. Regardless of what your position entails, try to learn something new every day. Asking my team and my boss questions about the IRS’s procedures or the current audit cycle of the company’s entities has definitely influenced the way I understand the material presented in my accounting classes. I am especially thankful since my boss always makes sure to explain the background of a project before actually assigning it me. There’s really no such thing as a stupid question – especially if you’re an intern. Trust me, it’s better to be safe than sorry—learned this lesson the hard way!

2. Microsoft Excel is your new best friend

This one shouldn’t be a surprise. It’s impossible to go through any business-oriented internship without having to utilize Microsoft Excel at some point. For me at least, a solid portion of my job includes data entry and analysis with Excel. Upon entering this internship, I wasn’t quite the Excel expert. Luckily though, Google is also my second best friend. So I heavily relied on the internet to answer all of my technical questions. Play around with it, ask that genius Sternie in class for help, or even take an online class over the weekend. However, just do it.

3. Keep up with today’s markets

Staying knowledgeable is a key factor in how you’ll grow as a business professional. Prior to this internship, I solely dedicated my mornings to The Skimm (everyone should subscribe to this BTW). But now, I also fit in a quick read of The Morning Brew’s daily newsletter, featuring the latest financial market snapshots and news. There’s no worse feeling than all of your co-workers discussing the nation’s current treasury yields and having no clue what they are talking about. Make that extra effort to explore the latest updates in finance – not only will you feel more educated, but you’ll probably improve your job performance with that extra touch of self-confidence. Win-win.

4. Manage your money

One of the key aspects of managerial accounting is budgeting. Basically, don’t spend your first week’s paycheck on a new pair of Sam Edelman pumps. Personally, I think one of the greatest perks of interning AND being a finance major is that I have a solid idea of the value of money. Of course, you should treat yourself here and there and splurge on something. Trust me, it’s really a liberating feeling when you can buy something with your own money. BUT, make sure to store a good portion of your pay in a savings account so your $$$ can pile up to the big bucks.

5. Plan ahead

Any intern, business-related or not, can definitely agree with this suggestion. There have been times during work when all I could think about was how I haven’t finished my paper due at midnight or how I didn’t have time to attend my TA’s office hours. The best thing I can tell you is to be organized and to be proactive. I cherish Google Calendar more than Trader Joe’s almond butter – it’s the only tool that keeps me going through the hectic week. I work on Thursdays and Fridays, so you could imagine how much cramming I do during the early week to get started on my assignments in advance. Plan ahead. I promise you (and your grades) will thank me later.

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.