The Ultimate Guide to Layering in 5 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! The air is a little chillier than before and we finally have to leave our summer clothes in the closet. Leaves are falling, the wind has a cold crisp to it, and the air is constantly filled with a hint of burning wood. Embrace the cold with the art of layering– with the help of this guide you’ll be a fall pro in no time! There are 5 basic steps to create the perfect fall outfit, but you can style it any way it fits your style; fashion is all about having fun!

Step 1: The Base

Start off with simple base acts as the canvas for your outfit. Try a tank top, long sleeved tee, short sleeved tee, v-neck, turtleneck, or scoop neck. With the exception of the turtleneck, this layer will not be seen after you add on the next layers. If your sleeves are long, try to roll them back onto the layer you choose to add next. It’s a great way to add extra warmth. For great steals check out Forever 21, Bershka, Marshalls, or H&M!

Step 2: The Sweater

Next, add one of your favorite chunky sweaters. This can be a cardigan, crew neck, pullover, or any kind of knit sweater. This layer especially adds great warmth to the outfit.

Step 3: The Button Down

Add a shirt of any color, texture, or pattern! Flannel is especially great for fall and is always in style. You can either button it up, or keep it open. Steps 3 and 4 can easily be switched around with the collar peeking out from under the sweater or cardigan!  

Step 4: Outerwear

Add a fashionable (and warm) outerwear to tie the whole outfit together with a bomber jacket, trench coat, blazer, denim, or leather jacket! H&M has recently added incredible blazers and faux coats of every style, so make sure to check it out along with Urban Outfitters and Bershka!

Step 5: Accessorize

Top it off with a chunky or thin scarf, depending on how cold it is outside. Chunky scarves are great for added warmth and blocking cold wind from your face and neck. You are sure to find great scarves from Garage or Urban Outfitters! Feel free to leave the scarf behind, weather permitting, either way you’ll be rockin’ the fall fashion!

1/2/3/4/5/6

My name is Catalina Gonella, I’m one of the Campus Correspondents at Her Campus NYU, and a junior studying Journalism & Media, Culture and Communications. I'm originally from Buenos Aires, Argentina, but I moved to South Florida when I was seven to a little suburby city by the name of Coconut Creek. A few other things you should know about me: I'm obsessed with food (current favorite: Ramen), I believe my calling is to try every single coffee shop in New York, I don't know how I expressed myself before Pusheen the Cat and Gifs, and I love when people tag me in Facebook dog videos.