The Success of Tear it Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It is no doubt that NYU is not an athletically obsessed university. As a small D3 school with a strong artistic component, it can be hard for Collegiettes to find an event that gives them a strong connection to their university like sporting events provide for students at division 1 and division 2 schools. However, there are five events scattered throughout the school year that allow these sports deprived Collegiettes to gain a strong sense of a community at NYU: Tear it Up!

Tear it Up! began as a basketball exclusive event in the 2005-2006 academic year. They quickly grew to include multiple teams. The 2012-2013 Tear It Up! season began this past October with a women’s volleyball event and will end March 13th with a men’s volleyball event. An NYU ID gains free admission into these events that most often feature catered food and t-shirt giveaways.

NYU’s athletic program includes ten varsity sports and twenty-seven club sports, according to the NYU Athletics website. The program also includes a Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC) comprised of two members from each sports team. SAAC works to develop relationships amongst the various sports teams, as well as between the athletics program and the university as a whole. Part of this process includes sponsoring large-scale sporting events like Tear it Up! that effectively promote NYU varsity to  large groups of students.

Planning these events is a year long project for SAAC. “We get the list and dates of all Tear it Up! events before school starts,” said Kyle Stockmal, SAAC President. “Part of SAAC’s job is to promote all these events to all the athletes and the community to draw a big crowd.”

For many non-sports enthused Collegiettes at NYU, a large sporting event may not seem like the ideal way to gain a sense of community. However, “being a sports fan should have little to do with whether or not you decide to come to a game,” said Jed Borovik, SAAC vice-president. “Sporting events give the students a chance to come together, meet some new people, and show some passion for your school.”

Athletes greatly appreciate the added energy that these homecoming style events bring to their game. “As players we really do feed off the energy of the crowd,” said Borovik, a junior on the Men’s Basketball Team. “There is nothing better than winning in front of thousands of cheering fans.” “It creates a great atmosphere,” said Stockmal, a senior on the Men’s Basketball team.

Through attending a Basketball Tear It Up this season at the Coles Sports and Recreation center, collegiettes did not just show support for the Basketball team. They supported the pep-band, cheerleading squad, dance team, and mascot. The support definitely did not go unnoticed by these other groups.

“It’s exciting because there are actually people in the audience to dance for besides parents,” said Emily Ferreira, a sophomore on NYU’s Purple and White Dance Team.

This year, Collegiettes who attended the first basketball Tear it Up! were a little confused as to why the supposedly free event required a $3 donation for food and a t-shirt. The small donation is given to the SeriousFun, a foundation founded by Paul Newman to provide free summer camps for seriously ill children looking for some happiness as they battle their conditions. The Men’s Basketball team volunteered at one of the camps in Italy this past summer and found it to be an amazing cause. “NYU athletics will continue to participate with SeriousFun through volunteering, donations, and whatever other ways we can think of to contribute to their mission,” said Borovik.

Tear it Up!  ultimately provides Collegiettes with a fun escape from the intense pressure and competition of NYU’s academic environment. Although there may be a small donation involved, it goes to a good cause and you get food, friends, fun and a cute t-shirt in exchange. If you have not been to one yet, there are still two more chances: Basketball on Friday, February 15th starting at 6 pm and Men’s Volleyball on March, 13th starting at 6 pm as well.

Photos:
“Wrestling Shirt” – NYU Athletics Facebook Page
“Wrestling Tear it Up” – NYU Athletics website
“NYU DT loves NYU Soccer” – Gabriella Scalz
“Breast Cancer Tear it Up” – NYU Athletics website

Alyssa Dvorak is a Journalism and Sociology major in NYU's College of Arts and Science. Originally from Verona, Wisconsin, Alyssa has always loved the city and has found a second home in NYU's neighborhood. Her hobbies include writing, dancing, choreographing, and running. She is on NYU's Purple and White Dance Team and is also working towards a Dance minor. You can follow Alyssa on Twitter: @AlyssaDvorak. Alyssa hopes to ultimately be an entertainment journalist in New York City.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.