Study Abroad Diaries: Halloween Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I hope everyone in NYC, and every place affected by Hurricane Sandy, is doing better than alright. I have you all in my prayers. Here in Buenos Aires, we had a storm that also did a bit of damage, but people recovered.

On a more pleasant note, Halloween in Latin America was a blast! There was a huge party the Saturday beforehand and people dressed up. That took me by surprise, since I was told by my host mother and the NYU-BA staff that Buenos Aires wasn’t that big into this holiday. There were the usual nurses and toga-wearing men. But what really was surprising was the effort into make-up! Holy moly! There were eyes falling off cheeks, perfect long eye-lashes, and wigs that completely transformed people. I, of course being quite creative, went as an American who forgot her costume. At this Halloween bash, there were not only Argentines. Fellow Americans contributed to the festivities, along with Brazilians, and Chileans. It was interesting to see how Halloween had changed over the term of ten years in Buenos Aires.

Ten years ago, the Zombie Walk that took place the following day (Sunday) had a huge turnout! My host sister dressed up as a zombie-fied Egyptian. I, of course being quite creative, went as an American who forgot her costume; but this time, trying to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Tents were filled with people trying to get the make-up professionally done; there was a truck full of Zombie-weapons; and my favorite part: a place to practice “Thriller.” Yes, there was a Zombie flashmob dancing to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” Did I join in to practice? Psh! I know the steps better than I know how to walk. But I did watch and take lots of photos.

On the actual day of Halloween, the streets weren’t filled with dressed Argentines. Even in my American Costume, I didn’t stand out. I was in shock… not really. I bought candy for the kids I tutor, and they thought it was weird that people dressed up like witches and zombies. Still, they ate the candy. I also got my host sister (and myself) a cupcake. Hers was a skull; mine was a witch’s hat. Delicious! The NYU-BA staff gave us a few candies, but I could tell there wasn’t going to be a costume parade. Oh well.

At least I went to a movie festival called, “Festival de Sange” (Blood Festival). The movie was hilariously cheesy! Good candy, good laughs, and great zombies? Awesome Halloween in Buenos Aires!

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.