Sew Sorority: Your New Favorite Way to Rep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

There are so many ways to rep your sorority.  Too many, actually.  But the irony is, all those ways– T-shirts, sweatpants, more T-shirts– get a bit repetitive over a time; even mundane, maybe.  That is, unless it’s a quilt.  

Sew Sorority is a unique quilt-making company created in May 2014 by Jeanette Bravo (pictured in a lovely pose below).  The patterned mania started when Ms. Bravo made a T-shirt quilt (how great does that sound?) for her sorority sister (also coincidentally her actual older sister).  When she received more requests from friends to make more after posting the masterpiece on Facebook and Instagram, Sew Sorority was born.

Now although some may still go for the convential T-shirt-esque way of displaying a unifying spirit, think of the perfect sense it makes to get a quilt.  It’s quirky and eye-catching, representing more than one aspect of your group instead of one plain design.   Sew Sorority’s own uniqueness lays in the dact that you can pick out the underlying fabric, choose from a variety of quilt sizes, and gain free shipping to boot.  As an added bonus, the craftsmanship is superb, and you can throw the whole thing in the washing machine instead of taking it to the cleaners. 

“But what if I’m not in Greek Life?” you might ask.  That’s fine: Ms.  Bravo’s craft extends beyond frats and sororities to favorite sports teams, clubs or organizations, and even high schools or colleges.  Just think of the possibilities of all the quilted T-shirts (all cheaper than other T-shirt blankets, mind) you could get!

So go ahead: get representative and snuggly.  You can find more information on Ms. Bravo’s work here as well as seeing some amazing designs (and great promotions) by following her on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.   Happy quilting!

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.