Parcel: Package Deliveries on Your Terms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Calling all online-shopaholics! If you’re so over the headache with the stress that comes with the actual delivery of those glorious boxes from Birchbox, JCrew, and the like, then you need to get hip to Parcel. The latest startup geared toward easing some of the pains of New York City living, Parcel eliminates the missed delivery notifications that we, the doorman-less, dread coming home to.

This off-hours delivery service is an absolute dream for online shoppers. Here’s how it works: after creating a free account online, members ship their orders to the Parcel facility, and the company hand-delivers the packages when they’re actually home. The company currently delivers Monday through Friday, 7:00PM to 11:00PM, and promises to haul your goods all the way up to the doorstep of your sixth floor walk-up. For just $5 per delivery, Parcel is the perfect solution for the strapped-for-cash college gal who can’t get enough Asos and Amazon Prime!

Her Campus NYU was lucky enough to snag an interview with Jesse Kaplan, the savvy Founder and Chief Executive of the customer service-obsessed business. Check out the convo below, where we hear all about Parcel, and find out what it’s like to start your own business from scratch. Also be sure to take advantage of your chance to try Parcel for free, by using code “HERCAMPUS,” or navigating to this special link.

HC NYU What inspired you to create Parcel?

JK I moved to NYC last summer and couldn’t believe how difficult it was to get my packages delivered. After trying every “solution” out there and being frustrated by each one, I started interviewing friends. After seventy-three meetings with New Yorkers who didn’t have doormen, I’d heard the same delivery horror stories over and over. I knew it was time for a simple solution, so I started working on Parcel!

HC NYU Who do you envision as your primary customer base?

JK While our members are quite diverse, I’d say our primary customer is a young, trendy, and busy city dweller with a penchant for online shopping. She’s someone who wants her J.Crew, ASOS, and Nasty Gal orders delivered the day they’re supposed to be and doesn’t have time to track them down at post offices or shipment centers.

HC NYU Tell us about a typical day in the Parcel offices.

JK Given how early-stage we are and how quickly we’re growing, every day is completely different from the last. Since we just moved into our own warehouse a few weeks ago, we’re spending a lot of time setting up the new space — that means everything from designing package storage systems to deciding which snacks to stock up on! We also spend a lot of time thinking (read: obsessing) over the customer experience to make it as seamless as possible. Between customer interviews, personalized notes on packages, and a bunch of other initiatives, we’re doing everything we can to make sure our members love us as much as we love them!

HC NYU What has been the most surreal moment of creating Parcel so far?

JK My favorite moments are when I meet people randomly at an event and find out that they already use Parcel! It’s always so exciting to meet a total stranger whose life has been made easier by something I started.

HC NYU What is the best piece of business advice you’ve received?

JK Tons of seasoned founders told me the best advice they could give was to “celebrate the little wins.” After working on Parcel for about a year, I couldn’t agree more. I tend to have incredibly high standards and often focus too much on my own critiques, but I’ve learned how essential it is to step back every now and then to gain some perspective. There will never be a day when everything is absolutely perfect, but it’s important to find joy and gratification in every victory.

HC NYU What plans do you have for the company in terms of growth?

JK Right now we’re still focused on making our Manhattan operation as strong as it can be. That being said, our Brooklyn expansion plans are definitely on the horizon! We’ll be announcing our next delivery zones on Facebook and Twitter, so stay tuned…

Don’t miss your chance to try Parcel for free! Use code “HERCAMPUS,” or  follow this special link.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.