OMG. PSL: Surprisingly, Starbucks Isn’t the Only Place to Get Fall Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Ah, fall: the season for hayrides, apple picking, football games, layering, and, of course, the Pumpkin Spice Latte.  The Starbucks drink has created a cult-like obsession, especially among teenage girls, with the #PSL hashtag dropping faster than the autumn leaves.  But is the PSL the only fall drink to sip on during the fall? Luckily for you, it’s not!  And the variety is as rich as the drinks themselves.

The Competitor: Pumpkin Latte @ Peet’s Coffee and Tea
Small: $3.88
Calories: 210

Have you tried the PSL several times but just found it too sweet?  Then try Peet’s Pumpkin Latte.  It’s taste is not as sugary as Starbuck’s PSL, and the pumpkin spices are stronger.  Although its taste does not stray too far from the PSL’s, it has significantly less calories (compared to the PSL’s 300).  Cozy up to this drink on the way to class with no fear of being late, since the lines are shorter at this underrated coffee shop.  Don’t forget to use your dining dollars!

The Remix: Pumpkin White Chocolate Latte @ Dunkin Donuts
Small: $2.69
Calories: 240

What if you have an enormous, insatiable sweet tooth?  Go for Dunkin’s Pumpkin White Chocolate.  Its punchy pumpkin spices are tied in with a comforting layer of sweet white chocolate, whose flavor is not too overpowering.  If you’re also looking for a fall drink that’s most reminiscent of your grandma’s homemade pumpkin bread, this is the drink for you.   Even if you are more of a coffee-lover, go for DD’s Pumpkin Coffee, a toned down version of the latte.  With a significantly lower price tag than the PSL’s, Dunkin will give Starbucks a run for its money, and you a warm, happy feeling on your taste buds.

The Tea: Pumpkin Chai @ Argo Tea
Small: $3.95
Calories: 150-270

For more daring drinkers, a bolder drink may be a better option.  Argo Tea’s Pumpkin Chai mixes and balances the strength of chai tea and the sweetness of pumpkin seasoning, releasing a blast of flavor with each sip.  Plus, the Pumpkin Chai is caffeine-free, so you can drink as much as you want while you study and still be able to sleep the night before that big exam.  The surge of spices leaves you feeling refreshed and perked up, without the harming effects of caffeine.

The Natural: Autumn Leaves @ Argo Tea
Small: $2.85
Calories: 0

If you’re not a fan of the pumpkin trend at all, but still want a warm fall drink to obsess over this season, try Argo Tea’s Autumn Leaves.  It’s exactly what the name implies: fall in a cup.  The tea blend of hibiscus, orange, apple, peppermint, and sunflower flavors releases a citrusy, slightly minty, but soothing taste.  Be sure to peek under the lid to catch a glimpse of its deep magenta hue; it’s just as nice to look at as it is to drink.  Plus, Autumn Leaves has zero calories, so you can drink up without feeling guilty after finishing a cup.

The Traditional: Hot Cider @ The Grey Dog Café
Small: $4.30
Calories: about 150

Let’s not forget; long before the PSL, the apple cider was the fall drink of choice.  For many of us, it still may be.  The Grey Dog is the perfect place to get a cup of hot cider.  It smells like homemade apple pie, and tastes like it too, with a twist.  A whole cinnamon stick is submerged in the drink for decoration and an extra kick, and a cinnamon-sprinkled froth covers the tops off the beverage. The Grey Dog’s laid-back ambiance is perfect for sit-down meals; sip on a hot cider during brunch with some friends, or along with a pastry while you study.

Sources:
1 2 3
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.