Nike DC Women’s Half-Marathon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Why do we run? To stay fit? To feel proud? To impress others? The answer should be all of the above amongst a myriad of other reasons. Running allows women to feel powerful and confident in a world that is chaotic and at times rather challenging. As Nike says, “There are clubs you can’t belong to, neighborhoods you can’t live in, schools you can’t get into, but the roads are always open.”

On April 27, 2014, the roads in Washington D.C. will be wide open for women from all over the country who share a common passion: running. April’s race will mark the second year of the Nike Women’s DC Half-Marathon. 

Nike is looking to inspire college women to discover the joy of running long distance. 13.1 miles may seem daunting at first, but with six months to train, it is more than possible. A half-marathon is not simply about hitting the pavement for a couple hours. It is about the experience, the pride, the swag, and the accomplishment.

While the race is on a Sunday, the experience begins Thursday, April 24 at Nike’s expotique in Washington Harbour, Georgetown. This is where runners can pick up their race materials, check out the latest from Nike, and indulge in numerous complimentary services from the event sponsors. NYU girls can also run down to the Nike Georgetown store where there will be specialty half-marathon gear and special appearances from professional athletes.

The pride comes during the race itself. The course starts and ends at Freedom Plaza in the heart of Washington D.C. Runners will pass by The Capitol, numerous monuments, The Kennedy Center, and much more. Nike also arranges entertainment all throughout the course, and “each detail is designed to inspire women each mile,” according to On Board Experiential Marketing, the marketing firm for this Nike event.

Once runners cross the finish line, they are presented with stellar swag. Handsome men in tuxedos from Howard University present the finishers with an iconic little blue box from the one and only Tiffany’s. Inside, finishers will find a beautiful pendant that celebrates their accomplishment. Finishers will also receive a DriFit finisher’s t-shirt as well as more complimentary products and services from race sponsors.

At the finish line, runners will have officially marked the end of one of the most significant accomplishments a college runner can experience. This accomplishment will carry with runners for the rest of their lives. Knowing that they have conquered the course, mastered the race, and fought through the pain, will give runners the confidence to tackle any future problem life throws at them.

If you are a female NYU student with a valid NYU ID that will still be valid in April, you are eligible to participate in the event and all of the promotions and training sessions leading up to the event.

If you are interested in registering, please contact me at amd639@nyu.edu and I will give you all of the registration information you need.

“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” 
― John BinghamNo Need for Speed: A Beginner’s Guide to the Joy of Running

Sources:
Race Logo: On Board Experiential Marketing
Course: Nike, Inc
Starting Line: Nike, Inc
Tiffany’s Boxes: Nike, Inc

Alyssa Dvorak is a Journalism and Sociology major in NYU's College of Arts and Science. Originally from Verona, Wisconsin, Alyssa has always loved the city and has found a second home in NYU's neighborhood. Her hobbies include writing, dancing, choreographing, and running. She is on NYU's Purple and White Dance Team and is also working towards a Dance minor. You can follow Alyssa on Twitter: @AlyssaDvorak. Alyssa hopes to ultimately be an entertainment journalist in New York City.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.