My Experience Modeling at the 2017 College Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Early October, I volunteered to be a model at the Her Campus College Fashion Week in New York City. CFW takes place every year, and each year all the collections feature young college students rather than professional models.

I arrived at Met West around nine in the morning,nervous and very excited. The large warehouse was under the process of getting revamped for the evening’s festivities. I walked all the way towards the back and through a large black curtain and felt the energy change. There were models trying on garments, people laughed and chatted and coordinators shuffled around trying to find the right garments. I felt dizzy with anticipation.

I was provided with three garments to try on and directed towards the changing rooms. As I slipped the first grey velvet dress on, it finally hit me. I was going to walk down an actual runway and pretend to be a model for a day.

I got to walk in three out of four shows and they were all back to back. I thought I wouldn’t have enough time to change but the transitions were very smooth. The show didn’t feel stressful at all, rather I savored every moment, even those I spent backstage. The opening show was Primark followed by Avec Les Filles, Chaser and finally Vicci.

My favourite outfit had to be from the Street Chic collection by Chaser. I wore a tight black dress coupled with knee high boots and a large purple fur jacket. It’s definitely a look I’m going to rock this fall!

As the day moved along we all got to know each other a little bit better. It was amazing to see how diverse the models were. Everyone was from different schools, different majors and different ethnicities.

All models and staff were so encouraging and nurturing. The best part was that there wasn’t one particular hairstyle or makeup look selected. The makeup artists at Ulta and the hair dressers from Bed head gave each model a unique look.

My look was inspired by an Egyptian goddess and it made me feel strong and powerful. I was amazed at the artistry involved and enjoyed talking and laughing with all the artists. By the end of the day the entire team felt like one big family.

I remember how I felt just before I did my first walk. I knew it was a full house and could hear the guests cheering us on. For a second my legs felt like jelly, but as soon as my feet touched the runway it was as if I came alive.

I put everything into my walk, feeling the music thumping with each step. I could see the cameras flashing and I’d never felt so in control of my body. The feeling was surreal.

The second I finished my last walk and my coordinator Travis high-fived me, I wanted to do the show all over again.

I’ll never forget that feeling of being empowered. Over all the free goodies and clothes that we got, it’s the friends and the memories I made that are most meaningful to me. I can’t wait to do it all over again next fall!

Nishka Dhawan is an NYU alumnus. She graduated with a double major in Psychology and Journalism and has been a freelance writer and blogger ever since. She's written for CNN Underscored, Mogul, and most recently started working as a tech writer for Digital Trends. When she's not writing you can find her nestling in with a good book while listening to her favorite tunes. Reach out to her at nishka1997@gmail.com to share your controversial opinions and stories.         
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com