Meet the Editors: Hannah Starke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at Her Campus NYU? We’re launching a Profile series featuring a group of special campus celebrites: our very own Her Campus NYU editors! These are the grammar queens with the brilliant ideas, social media prowress and killer editing skills. From brainstorming pitches, editing articles, leading staff meetings and hosting on-campus events, these women do it all! Stay tuned in the upcoming weeks for more articles dedicated to our Spring 2016 Her Campus’ Editorial Staff.

The Deets
  • Name: Hannah Starke
  • School/Year: Steinhardt ’19
  • Major: Media, Culture, and Communication
  • Hometown: St. Joseph, MI

HC NYU: Why did you decide to get involved with Her Campus NYU? 

HS: In high school, I remember vetting prospective colleges based on the Campus Cuties section of their Her Campuschapters, not going to lie. So when I saw a post on the NYU 2019 Facebook group from Madison, our Campus Correspondent, about writing for Her Campus, I jumped on it. I was the Managing Editor for my high school newspaper and it was a major part of my high school experience, so I couldn’t imagine going through college without working on another publication.

HC NYU: Can you explain to us your role as an editor? What’s your favorite part about it? 

HS: I’m the Features Editor, so I edit all of the articles for the Features category for publication and pitch feature articles to staff writers. I really like the editing process here because it’s very collaborative, but my favorite thing about my position has to be reading the articles themselves because everyone brings such a diverse range of interests and expertise to the table.

HC NYU: Are you involved in any other extracurriculars around school?

HS: I work on the events staff for the Fusion Film Festival, which focuses on supporting women in film, television and new media. We get to work with a lot of key figures in the film industry, many of whom are NYU alums, so there’s this amazing culture of support among women in entertainment. I’m also a member of the Fashion Business Association and the Stern-Tisch Entertainment Business Association — notice a pattern?

HC NYU: You interned at Rodarte during Fashion Week as a freshman – that must have been so cool! Could you walk us through your role there and what you liked about it?

HS: I worked with Rodarte before, during, and after their presentation at NYFW for the Fall/Winter 2016 season, so I got to see the process of putting together a fashion show for a major couture label from the casting process to going to market after the show. I learned a lot about styling and got to watch as high-profile stylists and the Mulleavy sisters themselves (!!!) finalized outfits for the show. The show itself was amazing, too; I worked backstage and dressed models for the show, many of whom I’ve seen in various campaigns since fashion week. My favorite moment was dropping a dress off to the Vogue offices. I didn’t see Anna Wintour’s famous bob, but I felt very Devil Wears Prada nonetheless.

HC NYU: How do you plan on spending the rest of your time at NYU? 

I want to intern at a variety of companies in the entertainment and fashion industries, so hopefully I can decide which one I want to pursue after graduation. I hope to spend a semester in Paris next year, so I’d love to bring my French language skills to an internship abroad — maybe I could cover Paris Fashion Week? In terms of academics, I want to learn more about the culture industries and plan to minor in the Business of Entertainment, Media, and Technology through Stern. 

HC NYU: Do you have any advice for incoming freshmen? 

HS: Try to cast as wide of a social net as you can. Given NYU’s infamously anti-social environment, this can be really difficult, but it is so worth it and people will really appreciate you taking the initiative!

And just for fun….

• Latest Netflix binge: I’ve been watching a lot of Old Hollywood movies lately, specifically Marilyn Monroe movies. They’re very fluffy and romantic, therefore absolutely perfect for exam season.
  • Biggest celebrity crush: Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend. I’d borrow one of his teddy bear sweaters any day.
  • The one song you can’t stop playing on repeat: I haven’t listened to anything but Lemonade since it came out. “Sorry” is my go-to at the moment.
  • A weird fact no one knows about you: I auditioned to be on Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? and all I got was a Fox News mug.

Follow Hannah on Instagram.

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein