Henry Prior: Gotta Catch Them All! (‘Them’ Being Ladies’ Hearts, That Is)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

By now you’ve probably heard of THE professional pokemon player on campus. Henry Prior is ranked 8th in the nation, and 16th in the world. Not to mention, he has a really symmetrical face which is basically what campus celebrities dreams are made of, right? I sat down to talk to him about xyz.

Quick Facts:

• Name: Henry Prior
  • School: CAS ’19
  • Major: Economics and Math
  • Hometown: Wyoming, Ohio

HC NYU: For those who may not be familiar with the system, could you briefly explain the method behind Pokemon games?

HP: It’s kind of like a two part strategy game. One part being which cards you comprise your deck of, so basically building your specific deck. The other half is simply strategy in game- actually playing the game against your opponents. There is also luck involved based on the cards you draw and who you are paired against, but overall the best players will consistently do well because skill is the biggest factor.

HC NYU: What originally sparked your interest in Pokemon? How did you first become involved in playing competitively?

HP: I used to love Pokemon. Basically like any kid, I bought the cards, watched the show, and I was just was really interested in it. So, I found a local tournament in Columbus when I was eight and brought my cards. There were experienced players in their teens and twenties and they helped me out, and I gradually got hooked on it. Since then I have progressed as a player, and now I’m the one helping the younger and more inexperienced kids out. It’s really rewarding.

HC NYU: What is your favorite part about playing Pokemon games?

HP: I think that’s it’s really mentally stimulating. There’s the adrenaline and exhilaration of playing at events and winning. I also appreciate how strategic it is – like a puzzle. The community is just really nice, and I’ve met some of my closest friends through the game. I’ve even had the opportunity to travel all over the world.

HC NYU: Can you tell me more about your travel experience?

HP: Well, the World Championship is all over the place – Vancouver, Hawaii, Washington D.C. I go to Florida, California, and the East Coast really often. I used to play at all the big events, flying ten to twelve times a year. We would fly in on maybe a Thursday or Friday, and leave Monday. For world championships, I would extend my trip to an entire week to spend time in the city it was in. It was intense, but I also had time to go relax or go out with my friends. For the smaller events that were nearby, I just drove. I had maybe two local events a weekend sometimes.

HC NYU: You had to fly quite often. Did Pokemon provide funds for these trips, or did you have to raise money yourself?

HP: If you win a big event, or are ranked highly enough, you’ll get a paid travel award, but most of the time I’d have to take action myself. I bought and sold Pokemon cards online, sold prizes I won from events, and got scholarships from Pokemon too. I also wrote for an article website called “Six Prizes,” earning two hundred to three hundred dollars per article.

HC NYU: Could you describe your most intense competition?

HP: It would have to be at national championships at 2014, I was in the top 8 and the game went down to sudden death. Time had also been called, so everything depended on my opponent drawing one card-and he drew it. So that ended my run. I just remember it was so nerve wracking because that brief moment was the difference between two thousand dollars, and potentially more if I had gotten into the finals. I mean, nevertheless- it was such a memorable experience, especially since all my friends were there rooting for me.

HC NYU: What other skills have you gained from competing at the championship level?

HP: Writing definitely, just because I started writing for the online articles I mentioned earlier. Also, being an efficient traveler and finding the cheapest deals for flights. My friends always came to me during college application season, because everyone was going on college tours. I also think that being able to be friends with such a diverse group of people through the national and world competitions has opened me up to perspectives I wouldn’t have normally encountered in Ohio. This was part of the reason why I applied to NYU and other schools out of my comfort zone.

HC NYU: What do you hope to achieve with your dual degree in Economics and Mathematics?

HP: Right now I’m interested in finance, specifically asset management which doesn’t really have much to do with Pokemon. I think the buying and selling of cards got me interested in doing investments on a bigger scale. I have friends from Pokemon who are pursuing finance and are working at investment banks too, so I always ask them about it.

HC NYU: Have you had time to play Pokemon since coming to NYU?

HP: I haven’t really. Getting adjusted to school, I wanted to make sure my school work didn’t get affected too much. I mean it definitely did in high school because I’d have to take so many days off, and I wasn’t always focused on school work. College is much higher stakes, and I just wanted to take a break and see how I could fit it in potentially next year just for fun.  

HC NYU: What’s your ideal type of girl? Would she play Pokemon too?

HP: Someone who I can have intellectual conversations with, funny, easy going, enjoys traveling. I prefer the cute type. Definitely not someone who is against Pokemon. I mean, she doesn’t have to play or enjoy it, but just someone not close minded about it or me playing it.

Follow Henry on social media. Facebook: Henry Prior, Instagram: @henryprior, Snapchat: @henryprior

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com
Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein