Girl Crush of the Week: Natalie Cortes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The phenomenon of “the girl crush” has been circulating the globe for as long as anyone can remember.  English women back in the 1500s probably wanted to be Queen Elizabeth just as badly as ninety-percent of the female population wants to be Jennifer Lawrence today.  And no, it’s not just because both were rich and famous; there are plenty of women like that who aren’t nearly as admired (I’m talking to you, Miley Cyrus).  It takes a certain kind of girl do be deemed “crushable”, and here’s a profile of some bonafide girl crushes walking around campus.

Name:  Natalie Cortes
Age: 19
Year: 2016
Hometown: Sacramento, CA
Major:  English (“I’m thinking about Creative Writing and Psychology [as a minor]”)
Favorite Film(s): One Day (“Even though it’s a cheesy romance thing.”), Amélie, The Bourne Legacy films
Unsuspected Facts: “I’m not religious, but I actually like the pope a lot.  And I’m scared of blue whales.”

Girl Crush Status: Let’s see– what about Natalie Cortes?  Aside from being one of the few that can actually pull off bright red hair (that magically always seems to be curly and non-frizzy to boot), Natalie is an extremely laid-back, extremely funny girl whose sharp humor is camouflaged by a thoughtful quietness.  She has read more books than God, and has a knack for writing and linguistics that would put George Bernard Shaw to shame.  Read to see what else she has to say about other girl crushes as well as her own girl crush status.

HC NYU: So who are your own personal girl crushes?
NC: Um, my biggest girl crush is Emma Stone.  I guess, I like her because I feel like she’s herself– I mean, obviously I don’t know her, but you know, she’s weird but like in a real way.  There’s also Zadie Smith, the author, because she’s really smart and amazing and she’s only in her twenties but she’s already published a ton of books.

HC NYU: Which qualities do you find make up not just a girl crush, but an admirable person.
NC: Just people who are real, I guess.  People who don’t try to be something who they aren’t, and who have a good sense.     

HC NYU: Do you have any anti-girl-crushes, girls who seem to be well-liked but irk you?
NC: I can’t stand Taylor Swift.  A lot of people seem to like hre (on Tumblr especially), but I feel like her image is really cute and innocent and pure, but I don’t feel like she is actually. 

HC NYU: Example?
NC: I watched this interview on Ellen and she talked about how she didn’t want to be one of those girls who needed a boyfriend and she dated, what, six guys this year?  And then Miley Cyrus– everyone thinks she’s trashy, but she was with the same guy for three years. 

HC NYU: Being an English major, do you have any books that you would highly recommend?
NC: Right now I would say books by Dave Eggers, especially A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.  It’s his memoir, but it reads like a fiction novel, and I just thought it was really interesting and…human?  Relatable.  The events weren’t [relatable], and his reactions and thoughts. 

HC NYU: Do you have a moment you’re most proud of?
NC: I guess getting into NYU., because I wanted to get in really badly and I thought I wouldn’t be able to. 

HC NYU: How about quality-wise?
NC: I don’t know if I have any, but I try to be open-minded and try not to judge people from the start.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.