Girl Crush of the Week: Ciara Remerscheid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The phenomenon of “the girl crush” has been circulating the globe for as long as anyone can remember.  English women back in the 1500s probably wanted to be Queen Elizabeth just as badly as ninety-percent of the female population wants to be Jennifer Lawrence today.  And no, it’s not just because both were rich and famous; there are plenty of women like that who aren’t nearly as admired (I’m talking to you, Miley Cyrus).  It takes a certain kind of girl do be deemed “crushable”, and here’s a profile of some bonafide girl crushes walking around campus.

Name: Ciara Remerscheid
Year: 2014
Major: Italian and Politics
Hometown: Austin, Texas

Girl Crush Status: Let’s get passed those blue-green eyes of hers for a minute and begin with the fact that she’s extremely eloquent.  Like, extremely.  And in a world of “likes” (see previous sentence) and “ums” (yet to be used), Ciara is one of the few people you could listen to all day because she sounds so damn intelligent.  But the intelligence doesn’t stop there: boasting a 4.0 GPA (in her words it’s “technically a 3.9- something” which, in many others’ words, is a 4.0), Ms. Remerscheid is looking to further her education at either Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, or abroad at Bologna or the London School of Economics.  According to a friend, she’s “always busy but will set aside time to hang out with her friend” and as the added attribute of being a “sassy mofo”.  So behold: Ciara Remerscheid, this week’s girl crush. 

HC NYU: Here’s the usual question: who are your personal girl crushes and why?
CR: Okay, I’m going to give you the top three.  Number one is Audrey Hepburn, for obvious reasons.  I mean, she just is…she represents what a woman should be: she was classy and elegant, and she did what made her happy.  I have respect for that.  Number two is Gwen Stefani:  she is my style icon.  She is also forty-five, and has the most amazing body.  I wish I had pale skin so I can have [her] blonde hair.  And number three is Joan Holloway [Christina Hendricks’s character in Mad Men].  I mean, she was– well, she’s not real, obviously, but she sort of defied all expectations of the women of that era.  And she [Christina Hendricks] is probably the most beautiful person ever.

HC NYU: Are there any popular girl crushes out there that you disagree with?
CR: I don’t get people who idolize people who overtly sexualize themselves just for the sake of it.  There’s a fine line between putting yourself out there and genuinely being it [sexual].  Like Miley Cyrus:  I feel as if she’s actually talented, but it’s a lot of the industry behind her [new] image.

HCNYU: What’s a quality do you possess that you find admirable?
CR: I have my morals, my convictions, and I don’t compromise them for anybody or anything.

HC NYU: Have any moments in particular that you pat yourself on the back for?
CR: Hmm…let me think.  I took the GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) last week, and  got a 166, which basically ensures my enrollment in any grad school I want.  I always doubt myself even though I know I can get in, but [achieving this score] helps to give me confidence. 

HC NYU: What drew you to both Italian and Politics as a major?
CR: I actually started out as pre-med (I wanted to be an oncologist).  Then sophomore year I went to Italy and I was really into it: the culture, the people, the language.  I quit pre-med and just thought I’d take Italian instead.  As for politics…I’ve always liked politics.  I was on the debate team in high school.   

HC NYU: Last question: which qualities do you personally hold in high esteem?
CR: Being genuine and being loyal, whether that’s to your husband or to your craft.  Then, I guess always trying to do more.  I feel like being complacent is settling. 

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.