Folk Rocker Mike Acerbo to Play Album Release Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Calling all music loving collegiettes!  Folk rocker Mike Acerbo is debuting his album The Search with an album release party in New York City on Friday, April 6 at DROM.

Acerbo’s album is filled with intricate arrangements of cellos, fiddles, piano, recorders, brass, and guitars.  His unique sound has drawn comparisons to Sufjan Stevens, Guster, and The Avett Brothers.  Acerbo’s themes of love, loss, and the search for self draw from his childhood tragedies: the death of a childhood friend, his mother, and his brother.  Growing up, music became a refuge for Acerbo.

“There was a point, when I felt so alone with my troubles, that all I had were the quiet hours after midnight and a song,” he said. “I wrote all the time, to get away from myself and to express the struggle I was going through. I had stories to tell and songs were the best way I knew how to get them out.”

Acerbo’s first track, “Trilby,” about a waitress that he worked with, premiered on CMJ.com.  He was on the track to pursue a music career when substance abuse blocked his path.  After being sober for five years, in the summer of 2009, Acerbo recorded a demo of a song “Robbie,” about the life and death of a close friend.  The overwhelming response to this song inspired Acerbo to return to the studio and record his first full-length CD.

“A light bulb went on,” he says. “I decided I had to make a record and wanted to make one that listeners would want to curl up on the couch and have a relationship with – the way I did as a kid.”

Mike Acerbo The Search Album Release Party
April 6, 2012 | 9pm | $10
DROM | 85 Avenue A | New York, NY

Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.