Easy DIY Halloween Costumes for Procrastinators

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Between midterms, campus jobs, and internships, it is totally plausible that you may have forgotten to plan out a super creative Halloween costume this year. Although Halloween is just a couple days away, there is no need to panic. Her Campus NYU is here to the rescue: we’ve created a guide describing how you can put together some of the quickest, simplistic, and easiest costumes without even leaving your dorm room.

1. Harry Potter

If you’re a fan of J.K. Rowling’s renowned series, or if you have seen at least one of the Harry Potter movies, this is the costume for you. Transforming yourself into the protagonist, Harry Potter, is easier than you think. In order to make the Hogwarts robe, simply put on an old graduation robe or any black sheet that you can wrap around yourself. Wear a white button down shirt and black slacks underneath to give the appearance of a Hogwarts uniform. If you don’t have a striped scarf sporting the Gryffindor colors of red and gold, take an old necktie to wrap around your neck instead. Next, you will need the perfectly round glasses that Harry always wears (with tape around the middle for good measure). Luckily, these are stocked at most Halloween and party supply stores. As a final touch, draw the famous lightning scar on your forehead using black eyeliner. Voila! You have magically morphed into Harry Potter.

2. Rosie the Riveter

Rosie the Riveter is a cultural icon who represents the thousands of women who took on men’s jobs during World War II, working in factories and shipyards, and producing many war weapons and supplies. The figure of Rosie the Riveter symbolizes the strength of women as a whole, and, as an added bonus, dressing up as Rosie can’t get any easier. You probably already have a pair of jeans and a denim shirt tucked away in your closet somewhere. The only thing you need to add to your ensemble is a red and white, polka dot bandana headband to tie your hair back with. Swipe on some bright red lipstick and you are good to go!

3. Kim Possible

Most of us grew up watching this iconic TV show and daydreamed about being just like Kim Possible: a high school cheerleader who saves the world on the side. To recreate Kim’s look, wear any black crop top, shirt, or sweater with green khaki pants. Add black combat boots as a final touch. As long as this color scheme is followed, almost everyone will recognize you as Kim Possible.

4. NYU Student

If you have to be at a Halloween party in ten minutes or less, then your best option is likely dressing up as yourself: a student at NYU! It’s safe to assume that buried deep in your dresser drawers is some form of NYU merchandise. If not, make a pit stop at the NYU Bookstore on your way to the party to pick up an NYU hoodie that will also keep you warm on chilly Halloween night.  

We hope this guide helped you brainstorm some quick and easy costume ideas. Happy Halloween!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

NYU Gallatin student passionate about art, literature, and good coffee
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com