Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: How to Pull an All Nighter Glamorously

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

The dreaded all-nighter season is upon us as finals approach.  Out of solidarity with you, I’ve pulled half a dozen all nighters this semester in order to fine-tune my late night beauty regimen.  I’m a professional procrastinator, so I get a lot of opportunities to test out what you need for your next midnight study session.

My streamlined “All Nighter Beauty Buster” (patent pending) is my grab-and-go mini duffle with all the products you need to leave the library at 7am still fresh as a daisy.

My duffle consists of energy bars, a water bottle, and these three products that you will regret not bringing to your next all nighter!

Thermal Spring Water

While you already know to drink plenty of aqua – put down that Red Bull – sometimes you forget that your skin gets dehydrated, too.  The winter chills calls for the library to crank up the heat, which unfortunately sucks your skin dry.  I always bring my travel sized bottle (1.76oz) of Avène Thermal Spring Water, and at least once an hour, I give my skin a spritz.  The spring water helps soothe and soften skin while helping it maintain it’s natural balance against the dry heat.  I get some weird looks sometimes, but people are seriously missing out!  Plus, when you spray it on, the cooling mist wakes you up – back to work!

Other options:
La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water 5.2 oz, $13, walgreens.com
Evian Mineral Water Spray Duo To Go 2×1.7 oz, $14, sephora.com
Avène Thermal Spring Water 10.58oz, $18, dermstore.com  (Best bang-for-buck!)

Multi Purpose Cream

I pack a multi purpose cream/balm for my sleepovers at Bobst.  I always choose a product that not only can be used to moisturize my lips or act as a hand cream but also be used for all sorts of little problems.  I use my trusty Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream, and the favorite use I get out of this super-tube is using it as an under-eye cream.  I squeeze out literally half a pea size and apply in a light circular/dabbing motion with my ring fingers (they give the lightest touch) to my tired eyes.  This helps prevent the oncoming puffiness from not sleeping all night!

Other options:
Lush Ultrabalm, $13.95, lushusa.com
Dr. Lipp’s Original Nipple Balm for Lips, $14.50, birchbox.com (International following!)

Cleansing Facial Wipes

It’s common knowledge that sleeping with your makeup on is bad.  Same rule applies for all nighters!  And seriously, if I see you, and you have makeup on at 4 a.m?  No.  You are already depriving your skin of major rejuvenation time (a.k.a. beauty sleep), so do yourself a favor and let it breath by taking off your makeup.  I always have cleansing wipes on hand since some study sessions weren’t intended to last past midnight, but they ultimately do.  Bonus: give yourself a little refresher wipe down before you take off into the wee hours of the morning – this counts as a semi-shower right?

Options:
Pacifica Purify Coconut Water Cleansing Wipes, $6, pacificaperfume.com (Best smell!)
Aveeno Ultra-Calming Makeup Removing Wipes, $6.99, aveeno.com
Yes to Cucumbers On-the-Go Soothing Facial Towelettes, $2.99, yestocarrots.com

NYU Student, Married to Beauty, Mistress to Sweets, BRIDES fashion intern Spring 2013, Marie Claire beauty intern F/W 2013-14, Cosmopolitan beauty intern Spring 2014, Her Campus NYU beauty blogger, Her Campus National Contributing Writer.Facebook  Twitter  InstagramWill do tricks for cake.Georgia Peach at heart.Obsessed with skincare and makeup.Professional technology assasin.Shoe and bag hoarder.Self proclaimed top-chef.Currently plotting how to sneak my cats from home to NYC.Will hibernate in winter, so please leave a message with your emergency.
Stephanie is in the class of 2014 at New York University studying Journalism and Dramatic Writing. She is currently a production intern at NBC News, after previously interning at ABC News. In addition to being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus NYU, she is also an entertainment and lifestyle blogger for Seventeen Magazine and a contributing writer for USA TODAY and The Huffington Post, as well as a member of the MTV Insights team. Stephanie loves Broadway and performing in musical theatre, as well as shopping, singing, and playing the piano. Follow her NYC adventures on Twitter at @StephanieJBeach.