Apartment Hunting Tips for NYU Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

So you’re tired of signing in guests, sneaking around your RA to have a small party, and dealing with fire drills that never fail to happen at the most inconvenient times. You want to move out, make your own rules, and feel ready to get a place of your own in NYC.

If you haven’t started searching for apartments just yet, you’ll realize that this step to become an even more independent adult (than being a student at NYU already makes you) isn’t a simple task.  If you have started looking already, you probably feel a bit in over your head. It’s a big city with lots of opportunities and a plethora of options that fit a broad range of interests, and with many opportunities and options comes even more decisions.

Here are a few tips to keep in mind that will hopefully make the process go a lot more smoothly.

1. Communicating with Roommates

First things first, figure out who you’re living with, and make sure you’re all on the same page before you begin apartment hunting together. Sitting next to someone in recitation and living with them for an entire school year are two very different circumstances.

Make sure to discuss:

Price Range

• Living with someone requires many financial decisions, even after you’ve signed on an apartment. Lessen the conflict, and find an apartment that’s affordable and comfortable for everyone involved.

Ideal Distance From Campus

• Do you want to live close to campus? Do you want to live in Brooklyn? Balancing a location that will give you the most opportunities to explore NYC, as well as be a reasonable and safe distance from campus is an important discussion to have.

Type of Room You’d Like to Live In

• Do you want to live in a studio? Do you want to share a bedroom? Do you want a single? This will help focus the types of apartments you’re looking at.

Other Amenities:

• Do you want a kitchen? How much of a kitchen? Do you want an apartment that’s already furnished? Do you want a washing machine in your room?

2. Location

NYC has so many exciting locations, all with very different perks to offer. It’s important to think about what location will best suit your desires before buying an apartment. There’s…

• The East Village: This is where most NYU students will end up. It’s close to campus and you have Union Square and Broadway right nearby, so that means all the shopping and great restaurants are right nearby. It’s familiar, and you really can’t go wrong living here.

• Alphabet City: There’s lots of food and bars right nearby, and it’s not too far from campus! Just make sure the area you’re living in is safe.

• SOHO: The best thing about Soho is that Little Italy and Chinatown are right there. So whatever you’re in the mood for, SOHO can satisfy your needs, not to mention all the shopping in the area is also fab.

• The West Village: You can expect much quieter nights in the West Village than you have in the East Village. You’ll still have drunken singing to help you fall asleep every night (it’s still New York after all), but you can expect way less people out and about at 10 at night than you do anywhere else. It’s definitely a much classier place, and for that reason, you should expect the food to be better, but also a bit more expensive. However, it becomes fairly simple to scope out the affordable restaurants and grocery stores once you get to know the area.

• The Meatpacking District: Similar to the West Village (because it sits right above it), you can expect great food, but can also find yourself struggling to keep a few dollars in your wallet at all times. The West Village is right in the heart of all of the best nightclubs and trendy restaurants. It’s very tempting to go out and take advantage of everything around you. It’s definitely on the more expensive side, but you’ll have a fun time.

3. Websites to Use

• NYU Facebook Groups: These are surprisingly really great resources for students. You’ll find apartment postings from students just like you. These apartments clearly worked out for these students, so why wouldn’t they be a good choice for you as well? There’s always someone looking to hand off their apartment, and this person will most likely be someone who shares your needs and desires as an NYU student as well.

• Street Easy: You can save preferred searches, and will be notified if any residence becomes available that matches your selected criteria. Further information about potential buildings or apartments are easily available as well, from amenities to price history.

• Zumper: Zumper is very user-friendly. You can select search requirements such as outdoor space, in-unit laundry, or a doorman. It also allows you to refer to a map, that indicates the nearest train stations, restaurants, and other facilities of importance to you.

Happy apartment-hunting!

Peri Segel is from a small town you've probably never heard of in Massachusetts, so she says she's from Boston.  She is currently attending the Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, so she gets to watch a lot of TV and call it studying.  She's a little racially ambiguous so she's definitely no stranger to people asking her "what are you?" Feel free to ask her yourself. She enjoys Christmas music in July; finding new places to get brunch in NYC; and going on long runs to recover from brunch adventures.
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com