Andrew, Called Nelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Name: Andrew “Nelson”

Hometown: Danville, California

Major: Photography

Year: 2017

Favorite movie: I won’t say favorite, because I’m not going to be held responsible for that, but I saw Submarine a bit ago and it’s stuck with me ever since.

Favorite Show:Les Miserable for sure. It’s actually the best show out there I sing “Who am I” whenever possible. Pretty sure my neighbors hate me for that”.

Favorite quote: “Getting to know a cafe is like getting to know a person. You know where their outlets are.” Amanda Hua

Go-to Repeat Song on IPod: “Well whenever I listen to music, I tend to just listen to whole albums, so right now it’s Tom Milsom’s album Organs and Neutral Milk Hotel’s album Avery Island.”

Fun Fact: “My name is Andrew. However, I went by my last name, Nelson, from 6th grade to 12th due to a surplus in other Andrews at my school, and I’m quite fond of both names.”

HC NYU What are your activities and interests?AN I’ve fallen in love with reading recently, so I’m trying to take that inspiration and make something out of it. I have nothing to show quite yet, but I’ve been working on making a website for a web comic that I’ll be doing, which should be a lot of fun.

HC NYU Any future goals or aspirations?AN I aspire to be Grace Helbig.

HC NYU Are you currently working on any project that you’re proud of?AN Yeah! That web comic project I just mentioned! It’s heavily inspired by another web comic, A Softer World, so I’m going to try and get in contact with them and maybe collaborate or at least get there blessing. It’s going to be a way for me to produce more work more rapidly. Each comic will be trying to illustrate some niche or quality that I’ve observed that probably wouldn’t get very far with a larger project. Most of my photography projects should have at least 20 photographs, and it’s very time consuming to accumulate that many strong photographs about a subject matter that is nuanced and interesting so I’m hoping people find this new project a good way to still see great photographs that provoke thought without being overwhelmed by a series that’s trying to make you believe it covers an entire subject. I’ve clearly got a lot to say about this, but I’ll leave it at this because that seems like a good ending point.

Along with hummus, coffee, and Jon Hamm, Claudia's interests also include writing. She wishes to pursue a career in the editorial world and has experienced several previous editorial internships. She is currently studying Media, Culture and Communications at N.Y.U. along with an Italian minor.