books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

9 Makeup Tricks to Look Less Tired

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

With many of us still in the midst of the seemingly never-ending midterm season, sleep has dropped to the bottom of our to-do list. On top of all this academic chaos, we have student council meetings, sorority formals and group projects that all stop us from snuggling into bed before the AM hours. Since when did we have to schedule sleep into our calendars?

Unfortunately, as we rack up a hefty debt of hours of beauty rest, our complexion begins to show it. Halloween may be a distant memory, but some of us still look as if we never took off our zombie costume.

But, who says we can’t fake it till we make it – make it into bed for a decent night’s sleep that is? With a little help from makeup, we can look as if we just woke up from a nap as long as Sleeping Beauty’s. Here are nine makeup tips and tricks to help you look less tired and more refreshed.

1. Give white eyeliner a warm welcome

As we become more and more sleep deprived, the whole area around our eyes becomes darker and darker. (Hello, dark circles.) Aside from under eye concealer (see tip #3), a sneaky little trick to combat this look is applying either white or ivory colored eyeliner into the inner rims (aka the waterline) of your eyes. The result? Your eyes will not only look bigger, but the whites of your eyes will appear brighter, and you’ll look like you got a proper nine hours of beauty rest. Just be sure to use a soft eyeliner pencil and apply it slowly and carefully. If you have sensitive eyes, be sure to opt for a hypoallergenic formula. Our favorite? Rimmel London’s ScandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Eyeliner in “Nude” rings up under $5, and it’s also waterproof, sweat-proof, and ophthalmologist tested.

2. Conquer color correction

While applying under eye concealer may already be an essential step in your daily makeup routine, there are ways that you can boost the final result to look like you just got back from a spa weekend instead of an all-night study session.

How? By applying a color corrector underneath your normal concealer. The purpose of a color corrector is to neutralize dark discolorations and cancel out any blue or purple veins that become more pronounced when we lack sleep. The goal is that the color you correct with is located at the opposite side of the color wheel as the color you are trying to cover up. So, since you are concealing dark blues and greys, select a color corrector that is either yellow, orange, and, yes, even pink, coral, or red.

Don’t be afraid to use these crazy colors because applying a shade of concealer that matches your normal skin tone on top will completely hide the color corrector. BECCA’s Backlight Targeted Colour Corrector in “Papaya” will be amazing for masking dark circles on tan and deep skin tones, while Bobbi Brown’s Corrector comes in a range of peach and pale pink-based shades, making it the perfect pick for fair complexions.

3. Shape matters

Even after color correcting, there is still more you can do with your under eye concealer itself to look more awake. Makeup artists have found that the shape in which you apply the product makes a huge difference. Instead of only dotting concealer on the areas of darkness directly underneath your eyes, use a brush to paint your concealer in a large, inverted triangle that extends down cheeks and to the sides of your nose. This “triangle of light” concealer trick is truly a miracle worker and will surely become a staple in your daily makeup routine.

4. Get glowing

Say hello to highlighter – it’s going to become your new bestie. Our skin usually becomes dull and sallow when we are exhausted, but we can counteract this effect by incorporating products that illuminate our complexion and create a radiant, dewy finish. In the palm of your hand, mix together a dollop of liquid highlighter with your foundation or BB cream for glow boost. We love MAC’s Strobe Cream or NARS’s Illuminator, which are both light-reflecting, iridescent liquids that make you look lit from within.

5. Show your lips some love

On days where you feel like you need a triple shot of espresso, steer clear of any dark lip colors. While vampy shades are fun for fall, they can make us look older and draw attention to any other areas of darkness. Instead, select a shade that enhances the natural color of your lips, creating a flattering, fresh-faced look. Be sure to top your lip color with a shimmery gloss or shiny balm to make your lips appear more plump and hydrated. An extra bonus? Only minimal touch ups are required throughout the day, and you don’t need a mirror to reapply. We’re obsessing over the new bareMinerals GEN NUDE® Radiant Lipstick, which is rich, creamy and comes in a whopping 20 different nude shades, so you can find one that perfectly matches your unique lip color.

6. Become a blushing beauty

No matter how many times you hit the snooze button, you should never skip swirling on a pop of blush before sprinting out the door. Adding a flush of color to your cheeks not only makes you look younger and healthier, but also acts as a “pick-me-up” for your whole complexion. If your skin is on the dry side, opt for a cream formula for a dewy, long-lasting finish. However, those with oilier skins should stick to powders. Not sure which color to choose? We suggest trying peach shades which are universally flattering.

7. Set up your brow game

Full eyebrows frame your eyes to make them appear more lifted, and they draw attention away from any puffiness or shadows. Use an eyebrow pencil or powder to fill in sparse areas and at the same time define the overall shape. Be sure to use short, upward strokes and only apply the product using light pressure to ensure a natural finish. Then, seal the hairs in place with a gel, like Glossier’s Boy Brow, which also doubles as a brow thickener.

Lastly, highlight your brow bone by tracing a line underneath each eyebrow with a highlighting pencil, like Benefit’s High Brow Highlight & Lift Pencil, and blend using your fingers.

8. Curl power

Many of us are already familiar with the magical powers of mascara. But, before applying your favorite formula, be sure to curl your lashes. A bigger, more defined curl will create the illusion of larger, wide-awake eyes (even if you are still sleeping on the inside). To help your curls withstand long days and even longer to-do lists, warm up your eyelash curler with a blow dryer for a few seconds before curling. If you’re worried about pinching and pulling, try NARS Eyelash Curler, which is padded for maximum to ensure that the process will be painless.

9. Skip the smoky eye

When choosing an eye makeup look while barely being able to keep your eyes open, neutral, shimmery colors are the way to go. Dark colors only compound the shadows from too many sleepless nights, and black, matte eyeliner can make our eyes look more closed than they really are. Instead, a wash of nude creates a soft, diffused finish. Choose light brown or taupe eyeliner shades, and apply a light eyeshadow with a hint of sparkle to your inner corners for extra brightening.

Wake up and wave goodbye to dark circles and a dull complexion. With these nine easy makeup tricks, we can fake a full night’s worth of rest in just a few minutes.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13

Carly Mantay is currently studying Media, Culture, and Communication at NYU.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.