samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Tips For Balancing School and a Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.
Work can be stressful, especially when you’re trying to juggle a demanding internship or job while still attending class from morning to night. For all you ambitious collegiettes, here are 7 tips on maintaining a healthy balance between career and school life. 

1. Try to get a job you really like

Working an enjoyable job will lower your stress level and make a busy day more bearable. And you get to have fun, while getting paid. Having a fun job will also probably mean that your work experience will be more laid back, and that can be extremely helpful when you become a little too overwhelmed with everything you are trying to juggle.

2. Remember less is more

When telling them your availability, tell them less than what you think you can handle. It’s easier to ask for more hours than ask for less and you don’t want to overwhelm yourself. Let your manager know beforehand that you are in school and that is a priority. And definitely make sure to use handy organizational apps such as iCalendar, Google calendar, or any other type of calendar to help manage your workdays.

3. Avoid working the day before a big test

Don’t work the day before a big test or the day before a paper is due, because trust me, school is all you will think about. So get your shift covered, request the day off and whatever else you have to do to dedicate that day to studying. Always set aside specific times to complete homework, papers, or studying for each class. That way, you feel obligated to finish the task.

4. Don’t be afraid to say no

Don’t be afraid to say no to your manager or a coworker if they ask you to work a little longer or an extra day if you don’t think you have the time, or even if you just don’t want to. Take a Saturday or Sunday off to explore your city, relax, hang out with friends, or just take some time for yourself. College is not easy and you deserve a break.

5. Build a support system

Make sure you have someone you can talk to at the beginning of a hectic week, or at the end of a long day. Whether it’s your family, friends, coworkers, or just about anyone who can help you relax, you will feel so much better after talking it over.

6. Focus on the task at hand

You’ll get your work done faster and leave time for other things that matter. Resist the temptation to talk to friends while studying or mentally quiz yourself while talking to your co-worker. Be present and in the moment.

7. Prioritize

Make sure you put school first. Your education is always more important. (And why wouldn’t you want to feel like the gif below???)

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.