7 Galleries and Exhibitions You Must See This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s no secret that New York has some of the greatest museums and galleries in the world. Plus, with an NYU ID, you can get into some of the best ones for free! If you’re staying in, you’re seriously missing out. Check out some of these incredible exhibitions that are now on view:

1. Pixel Forest at the New Museum

This dreamy multi-level exhibition will please all your senses. Aptly titled Pixel Forest, the pieces beautifully combine nature and technology by playing with texture, sound and light. This exhibition will be sure to calm you after a stressful week by bringing you into another world. Plus, if you go on a Friday or Saturday, you get access to the Sky Room, where you can get incredible views of Lower Manhattan!

2. Take Me (I’m Yours) at the Jewish Museum

I’m biased because I interned at the Jewish Museum, but this exhibition is super captivating and fun. It features over 40 contemporary artists and you can touch, interact with, and take home all the art in the exhibition! Not only were the pieces fascinating and thought-provoking, but I came home with buttons, a tee-shirt, temporary tattoos and tons of other goodies.

3. Picasso’s Picassos at Gagosian Gallery

This incredible exhibition features a selection of works from Picasso’s daughter, Maya Ruiz-Picasso. See some of the famed Spanish artist’s works in the flesh at Gagosian’s Upper East Side gallery.

4. Mastry at Met Breuer

Kerry James Marshall is one of the foremost contemporary artists and this retrospective features almost 80 works from his 35-year career. Marshall often follows traditional Western conventions of painting, but places black people front and center, challenging the dynamics of typical artistic representation.

5. The Ballad of Sexual Dependency at the Museum of Modern Art

Nan Goldin’s photography is provocative, stunning and deeply personal. Featuring over 700 of her photographs, this exhibition provides insight into the photographer’s life in the 1970’s and ‘80s, depicting drug use, domestic abuse and the AIDS crisis in highly intimate moments.

6. Pretty/Dirty at the Brooklyn Museum

Feminist artist Marilyn Minter explores femininity, beauty and sexuality in this series of intimate photographs and paintings. The thought-provoking images are often explicit and uncomfortable to look at, making the message even more powerful.

7. Klimt and the Women of Vienna’s Golden Age, 1900-1918 at the Neue Galerie

Klimt is remembered for his beautiful, sensual portraits of women that masterfully use color, eroticism and traditional Japanese techniques. This exhibition highlights the artist’s prowess for portraits and the influence that fashion had on his art.

Images: 1 / 2 & 3 by the writer / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.