Style > Beauty

7 Addicting Korean Beauty Trends & Products to Try (and Love!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Over the past few years, South Korean beauty trends have been slowly, but surely, making their way into the states. Whether it’s because of their unique skincare tactics or simple, yet elegant beauty routines, they’ve undoubtedly been attracting various makeup enthusiasts and health bloggers. Here are some of the major trends and products that are currently in vogue, and where you can get them now:  

1. Sheet Masks

Sheet masks are one of the most essential skincare items in South Korea. You can find them exactly according to your skin type since they are packed with many healthy ingredients such as avocado for nutrition and moisture, or perhaps tea tree for acne-prone skin. All you really need to do before applying the mask is wash your face with a good cleanser, and then you’re set! These refreshing sheet masks have been surfacing around the states in popular stores at Urban Outfitters and Sephora, so don’t miss out (seriously, these are a must-have). Get The Tony Moly Tea Tree Mask here!

2. Nose Strips

It might seem that Korean nose strips are no different than the ones you buy at your local drugstore. But once you try them, there’s no going back. The strips themselves have a much thinner lining, allowing them to perfectly stick according to the specific shape of your nose. The most satisfying (and yet, disgusting) feeling is when you rip off a nose strip and see the amount of gunk that’s been building up on the surface—and trust me, you will most definitely get these results. Because of activated ingredients such as volcanic clay, charcoal and even aloe vera (for sensitive skinned people like me), it’s incredibly effective in removing a lot of impurities. As an added plus, the scent of these revivifying strips is heavenly. Get the Innis Free Jeju Nose Pack here!

3. Foot Peels

These trending products are a little out there, but does anyone really want to have gross, calloused heels? Foot peels work by gently sloughing away dead layers of skin. A kit will come with a liquid solution and two loose slippers to comfortably fit each foot into (don’t worry, these can be trashed in the bin once you’re done.) Pour the solution into each slipper, and wait for about two hours. Now here’s the slight downside: once you’ve waited, you can’t expect to find instant results. It takes more than a few days for the dead skin to naturally fall off so resist the urge to peel them yourself. Don’t worry, you’ll find an amazing improvement. Just be patient! You can find a foot peel kit through Amazon.

4. Cushion Compacts: The Secret to Getting Dewy Skin

Cushion compacts mean everything to Koreans. It’s that one item that anyone who knows anything about makeup carries around. It’s basically a sponge completely soaked in foundation enclosed in a case for portability. The light foundation gives off a glowing look and is often worn as a base. It also lays smoothly on your skin, and you can easily use the sponge for quick and easy touch ups! The only thing to complain about here is that there are only a few shades available, and it can often run on the pricier side because of its higher quality. You can order one of these through Target.

5. The Gradient Lipstick Craze

Although I’m not a personal fan, the “gradient lip” trend has become increasingly popular. Gradient lips complement the “doll look” that many Koreans try to aim for since it gives off the appearance of youthfulness. It’s super easy to achieve the look too. All you really need is a good concealer, the same shade as your skin tone, to fill your lips in. Using a bright and contrasting lip color, fill in the portion of your lips that are closer to the inner side of your mouth. Blend in the color so that it gives off a gradient look! If you want to invest in a great color that will make your lips pop, try these!

6. The Puppy Eyeliner Look

This beauty trend is the total and complete opposite of the cat eyeliner look, but don’t be frightened just because it’s different from what you are used to. The puppy eyeliner look works so that it accentuates your softer, more delicate features, making your eyes look bigger and rounder in the long run. And to add, I think it’s so much easier to achieve this look than the classic cat-eye flick. For an incredibly quick tutorial, check out this video!

7. The Straight Brows

Koreans love their straight, filled in eyebrows because it gives off a much more polished finish to the overall natural look that they want to achieve. Lately, models have been sporting the look, and we may even have Korea to thank for our recent obsession with fuller eyebrows. If you want a tutorial, go take a look at famous beauty vlogger, Morgan Stewart, to see how she creates the perfect straight brows!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Hannah Song is a freshman at NYU Steinhardt currently studying Media, Culture, and Communications. Ever since she was little, she has always been a movie buff. In the future, she hopes to become a successful casting director for major film and television companies.  She is also a self-declared Disney fanatic, and most likely seen singing her heart out to The Little Mermaid. 
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.