6 Quick Weekend Getaway Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

While New York City has captured our hearts, we must admit that sometimes we would do just about anything to escape the concrete jungle. These urges seem to become more common as homework piles up, stress levels skyrocket, and when there isn’t a cloud in the sky. Although finals are coming soon, it’s important to make time for some much needed rest and relaxation. Here’s a few weekend getaway destinations that you could definitely visit at the last minute.

1. Asbury Park,NJ

Located on the New Jersey Shore, Asbury Park, after recovering from Hurricane Sandy in 2013, is better than ever. Asbury Park is filled with music and excitement during the weekends, making it the perfect place for you and your friends to have tons of fun. This city is only a 70 minute drive from Manhattan, and you can even take a train or bus to Asbury Park Station.

While you are exploring Asbury Park, be sure to stop by the Stone Pony, a rock music club that opened in 1917 where many famous rock stars launched their career. Don’t forget to plan a night at Tim Mcloone’s Supper Club: built in reminiscence of the 1930s and 1940s supper club in New York, this restaurant features upscale dining, live performances, and a breathtaking view of the beach. For more information be sure to check out this website.  

2. Phoenicia, NY

Phoenicia is a small city hidden in the Catskill Mountains. If you want to interact with nature and breathe in clean, fresh, unpolluted air, then this is your ideal getaway. Don’t forget to visit Town Tinker to rent tubes for an adventurous whitewater rafting experience on Esopus Creek. Hike around to let go of all the chaos back in New York City. You can travel here by taking a bus, but it is recommended to drive yourself, as there are minimal public transportation options in Phoenicia.

3. Niagara Falls

When mentioning Niagara Falls, most people say that the best view is from Canada, but the sight from the United States is also completely breathtaking. There are plenty of one and two day trips to Niagara Falls from New York, and they typically include the iconic Maid of Mist boat tour. Take some Instagram-worthy photos, and let your imaginations flow as they are enveloped in the mists of the waterfall. If you decide to stay overnight, definitely don’t miss the view of the waterfall once the sun sets; you will be surprised at just how spectacular it looks under the stars. For more information, click here.

4. Fire Island

Fire Island is a barrier island located off of the south shore of New York. It runs parallel with Long Island and was splitted in half by Hurricane Sandy. Nevertheless, this island is like no other. Although it is only an hour and a half away from New York City, it seems like an entirely different world. The island can be reached by ferry and is completely free of cars, except for emergency vehicles. On the island, you and your friends can ride bicycles along nature trails and watch the sunset on the beautiful beach. Fire Island is an amazing destination if you feel like summer can’t come fast enough, and it is definitely somewhere you can go to reboot your system to prepare for finals.

5. Bear Mountain

Bear Mountain is a state park situated in the mountains of the west bank of the Hudson River. It was listed by Travel + Leisure magazine as one of the “Best Day Hikes.” Since it is only fifty miles north of Manhattan, you can easily explore these mountains in the morning and be back in the city for dinner. It is a wonderful choice for a quick getaway that wouldn’t affect your study plans. If you are not looking for a rigorous hike, you can also walk around a peaceful lake or visit the Trailside Museum and Zoo. For more information, visit the park’s website.

6. Catskill Animal Sanctuary, Saugerties, NY

This sanctuary is for farm animals, and it is focused on rescuing animals who suffered from human cruelty. The farm has rescued over 4,000 animals of eleven different species since 2001. You can go on a tour where you interact with the animals and learn about how to help them. If you would like to contribute even more, you could also volunteer to spend time with the animals more closely. This is an outstanding and stress-relieving way to give back to society and raise awareness about animal cruelty. An added bonus? You can also participate in a culinary program to learn about veganism and provide support for the animals.

We hope that these incredible destinations inspire you to take a quick getaway with your friends to relax and recharge before finals season!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com