5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Winter Break at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

I think it goes without saying, but we all need a vacation. Luckily, the holidays are coming up and break is so close that we can taste it. However, there is always a group of us who get the break but not a vacation. And while we’re happy for the break, deep down we wish that we were presented the opportunity to take a plane to a warm and sunny destination out in the Bahamas. We’ve all been there. So, fear not friends! Turn your frowns upside down, because we’re going to work with the best of what we have. Here is how to create your own homemade vacation.

1. Give Netflix a break and spend the day at the movie theatre

Everyone loves the movies and there are always great movie releases during the holiday season. Gather a group of friends or take yourself on a date to watch as many movies as you’d like. Fortunately, we are all NYU students, and can purchase student discounted tickets at Skirball. Even better, everyone should download the movie app: Atom. My friend told me about this heaven sent app. When you download it and make a free account, you get one free movie ticket to any theatre! If you’re feeling really fancy, check out a dine-in movie theatre near you. It’s a classic! Just have a relaxing day in the theatres and treat yourself to an extra large bucket of buttery popcorn!

2. Take the best bath of your life and pretend it’s a jacuzzi

I know us ladies take showering very seriously, but I also know that we rarely have the time to pamper ourselves and take a nice bubble bath. One thing I’m looking forward to is trying out my glorious bath bombs and holiday scented candles! Create the perfect aesthetic and mood for yourself and relax!

3. Cook your favorite vacation meal at home

Everyone has that moment when they’re on vacation and start to have huge cravings. Not something you’d eat at home, but perhaps, try something new that you’ll only cook because you’re on vacation and have the extra time. Find that special meal online and try to cook it for yourself! This is a great task to keep yourself busy as well. My go-to meals in New York consist of pasta, pizza, burgers, chicken and other meals I’m familiar with. Let’s say my dream vacation is to go to Dubai (accurate and unfortunately not happening rn), then I’d definitely try making myself Matchbous, a lamb meal popular in Dubai. Not saying that a meal can replace a trip and the destination, but it’s literally so close that you can taste it!

4. Go shopping for holiday gifts

This is always fun to do because you get to shop and make people happy at the same time. It is very important that you set a budget for yourself and create a list of the people you’re getting gifts for and what you’re getting them. And it’s okay to cheat and buy yourself a little something while you’re at it.

5. Redecorate your room

This one sounds like a lot of work, but how cool would it be to take time for yourself and finally try out some of those DIY’s you’ve seen all over the internet? I personally love to redecorate and I think it’s actually relaxing to clear your space, get rid of some old knick knacks and recycle a few of them to make yourself some nice decorations.

Whoever you are or wherever you may be, here’s to your glorious stay-at-home vacay!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein