5 Tips for Having a Healthy Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Admit it, you’re counting down the days until that last Tuesday afternoon class when you can say “Bye Felicia” to Washington Square for that well-waited for trip back home. But, as much as we’re excited to catch up with our family and besties from home, we all know the real reason we’re looking forward to Thanksgiving: THE FOOD. A feast with savory turkey, fresh stuffing, AND Grandma’s classic pumpkin pie, What more could you ask for??? Sure, you should allow yourself some “wiggle” room to indulge in Thanksgiving treats, but who says the holiday should get you completely off track of your healthy habits? Read on for some tips to enjoy and still stay healthy this Thanksgiving.

1. Plan your workout ahead (with a buddy!)

Sleeping in Friday morning or going for a run? Most of us would probably pick the first, so why not initiate a workout with a friend before you get used to the lazy groove of the weekend? Whether it’s a 10 AM soul cycle, a run through the neighborhood, or even a 30-minute walk around the park, you’ll feel more pressured to burn those calories knowing that someone else is depending on you. Plus, a morning workout means you’ll still have the entire day to relax and enjoy Black Friday specials!

2. DON’T Skip Breakfast

If I don’t eat breakfast, then I won’t feel guilty at Thanksgiving dinner.. Right? WRONG! “Saving” up calories for the big meal will actually result in unnecessary overeating. Make sure to fill up on some protein and fiber in the morning, that way you’ll be less likely to go for a second helping during dinner. Greek yogurt with fruit, or oatmeal with a sliced banana and a tbsp. of peanut butter should suffice. (Two of my favorite breakfast options!).

3. Hydrate

Start off that Thursday by frequently drinking water. If you don’t, you’ll be more prone to overeat when in truth your body may just be craving more water. Try to have a glass of water in your hand while mingling with family members before the meal, so you’ll feel slightly full when approaching the dinner table. Also, stick to water during the actual meal. Soda, hot cider, or any other drinks just add wasted calories to your diet regime.

4. Police your Portions

Finally, it’s time for that well-waited for dinner – but you don’t know at which end of the table to start! Two words: portion control. Fill half of your plate with vegetables (i.e sweet potatoes, steamed beans, assorted salads), one-fourth with good-old lean turkey, and one-fourth with a starch (i.e. stuffing). You’ll feel much happier with a clean, balanced plate of the evening’s delights. Also, take it easy on extra sugar and calorie intake from cranberry sauce, gravy, etc. Resort to one tablespoon rather than drenching your piece of turkey in extra fat.

5. Black Friday=Burn Calories

It’s Friday afternoon yet you still feel bloated and lethargic from last night’s dinner. Solution: grab some comfy shoes and stroll through the mall or your nearest department store for those Black Friday sales! Sure, the lines are ridiculously long and the retailers are insanely crowded, but you’ll feel so much better about yourself knowing you kept your body moving throughout the day rather than binge-watching OTH or that new show you started on Netflix on your bed. Happy Thanksgiving!

Madison is a current Gallatin junior pursuing a concentration in Magazine Journalism and a minor in Nutrition. Besides obsessing over french bulldogs, peanut butter, and books, she aspires to be an editor someday. The city serves as her limitless inspiration, and you can most likely spot her in the park either writing away or leafing through magazines. She is currently the campus correspondent for Her Campus NYU and has previously interned and written for Bustle.com, Harper's Bazaar, Cosmopolitan and NYLON. She believes in freshly baked cookies and never taking herself too seriously. Except when it comes to her career, of course.  "Creativity is intelligence having fun." - Albert Einstein