Culture > News

5 Reasons Why The March for Our Lives Was a Huge Success: Looking Back One Month Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

March for Our Lives, a student-led demonstration advocating for tighter gun control, was held on March 24, 2018 all across the United States. With its immense reach and strong campaign, demonstrators were able to turn this rally into one of the largest movements of our generation.

The campaigns pushed for gun reform in the United States, showcasing examples of past victims of gun violence to eradicate the usage of these weapons from society. Here are a few reasons why the movement was a success.

1) Enormous Reach in the United States

At least 1.2 million people marched for gun control over the weekend at rallies across the United States, with the largest demonstration located in the nation’s capital. March organizers calculated that in Washington DC alone, 800,000 people attended throughout the day. This was just small fraction of the approximate 450 marches that occurred throughout the rest of the United States.

2) Even More Reach Globally

While the preliminary marches occurred in the United States, events took place in about 800 other cities around the world, including, but not limited to, London, Mumbai, and Sydney! This goes to show that even though the campaign for the march was based on school shootings that happened in the United States, debate over gun control laws and the promotion of safety in one country can extend far beyond its own borders.

3) Personalized Marches

In protests, people often are advocating about issues in a general sense. However, what made these marches so influential was that people started to share their own personal stories of loss to gun violence, showing the public real world examples of why this issue needs to be heard.

4) Celebrity Support

Celebrities and influencers have a significant impact on the perceptions of many people, regardless of the age demographic being targeted. Social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook were used by celebrities to express support and show concern for the marches. Additionally, celebrities’ mere presence at the marches allowed for more press coverage and attracted a wider audience.

5) Widespread Media Coverage After the March

For many organized events, media coverage will only occur on the day of, and then unfortunately die down right after. Take Kony 2012 for example. After their largest event, not much was done to promote advocacy for the issue. However, the attention on the March For Our Lives demonstrations did not die down, highlighting the importance and resonance of this gun control issue from a global standpoint.

To learn more about March For Our Lives and how you can join the movement, head over to their website.

Image Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com