5 Realistic New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

As the final days of 2015 approach, many of us can’t help but stop our daily lives with a period of self-reflection about the past year’s adventures, successes and even regrets. Maybe you can’t stop thinking about how awesome your summer was, or how you wished to have listened to your professor’s piece of advice, or maybe you realized that you’re not that into your presumed major anymore. Regardless of your thoughts, it’s time to actually embrace the saying “New Year, New Me.” Instead of vowing to lose 10 pounds, then breaking it with late night cheese fries on January 2nd, here are some reasonable resolutions that can easily be pursued during 2016.

1.Take care of your body

This upcoming year, make a promise to yourself that you will feel comfortable in your own skin. Don’t obsess over strict kale diets or how you aspire to have Adriana Lima’s flat stomach. Instead, work on becoming a better version of yourself. Whether you vow to eat less processed foods and more organic produce, improve your sleep cycle, finally try out a meditation class, or use more natural forms of makeup; make your body a priority. Treating yourself right will definitely boost your self-esteem and confidence for a balanced, more productive year to come.

2. Be more organized

Remember that time you realized at 10:45 PM that you had assignment due at midnight? Or that your cousin’s birthday was yesterday? Yeah, same. Let’s try to make sure that doesn’t happen in 2016 by vowing to manage your time more efficiently. These days, Google Calendar and other mobile apps are letting time management be right in your hands (literally!). Or, there’s nothing wrong with that classic journal or girly agenda in your purse. Whatever floats your boat, as long as you consistently keep track of due dates and other time commitments. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later!

3. Spend more wisely

We’ve all realized that living in the big apple, and being a college student in general is definitely pricey, especially when it comes to going out on weekends. So when you’re packing your suitcase to return to NYU, examine your closet and see whether you’ve actually used every article of clothing you bought during your fall semester. Maybe this year, you’ll consider whether you need that typical black blouse from Zara or if you just want it. Perhaps the leading expense affecting your budget isn’t shopping, but indulging in food. Small changes such as brewing your own coffee or swapping a Fresh & Co salad with a Palladium one can easily result in extra cash. By saving up even $20-$40 a week, you’ll be able to invest in something more substantial by the end of the semester.

4. Learn something new

Put the “New” in New Year by pushing yourself to discover a new skill, talent or hobby! Maybe it’s time to finally sign up for that Italian elective you always talked about or spare your Palladium workout one time with a beginner kickboxing class at Shadowbox. Part of becoming a better version of yourself entails a recognition of your true interests and personal goals. Make 2016 a special year with a new sense of ambition and a new sense of creativity. In this case, you only have room to improve and nothing to lose!

5. Keep up with current events

It’s 2016, which means it’s almost time to vote! With the constant struggle to balance academics and a social life, it’s normal for us college students to only hear glimpses of the news via Facebook or while on the phone with your mom back home. This year, make an effort to genuinely keep up with current events domestically and around the world. Whether you’re reading the NY Times on your smartphone in between classes or listening to the GOP debate while you finish a webassign, making the news a priority can only help you! If you really don’t have a lot of spare time on your hands, (like me), I highly recommend subscribing to The Skimm. By providing brief, easy to understand, summaries of the week’s global events, The Skimm delivers daily doses of relevant news straight to your email. Happy New Year!

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.