This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

In this tech-obsessed world, it’s just impossible to keep up with everything. One of the most technologically advanced worlds is the fashion world.  Anyone and everyone that has ever worked in fashion can tell you how much smartphones and computers have an impact on the industry. From online sales to streaming fashion shows live, there are so many possibilities out there!  However, with the pros, always come the cons. Although everything is at our fingertips now, it’s harder to find amazing resources as opposed to the plentiful abyss of mediocre fashion “know-it-alls”.

The best way for us to streamline the way we find our inspiration and cultivate our love for the fashion world, is to make use of the fashion apps that have yet to hit rockstar-status. There are so many worthy outlets just waiting to be found and advertised.  

1. Polyvore

The first app that has been advertised the most is Polyvore. Everyone knows about it, especially if you’ve had prior knowledge or experience working with the app. It’s super easy to figure out and it’s (gasp) free! It is my ultimate go-to app to create inspo boards that contain looks of my dreams and looks that seem reasonable in my near future. The best part about it is the library that you can choose your items from. Also it provides you with the opportunity to upload any pieces that you think suit the look you’re going for.

2. Villoid

Next, is Alexa Chung’s business venture called Villoid. I was hesitant to download this app at first because I wasn’t sure if Chung was in it for the PR stunt to gain more followers that would boost her to ultimate #celebstatus OR to allow her followers to thrive and create inspo boards of their own. However, I became kind of obsessed with it…like two hours a day obsessed. It has a social media aspect to it, where people can follow you and like your boards (which is a total confidence booster). This is a definite must-have for anyone who loves playing around with designer items.  

3. Like To Know It

Like To Know It is the most ingenious app ever. So many bloggers that I follow are obsessed with this app because their followers are able to like and find the exact looks that their blogger idols are wearing in their Instagram pictures. How cool! If you see a cool pair of pants or a fun summer dress that someone is wearing in a photo, you just like the picture and you get an automatic email about the item’s details: price, brand, color, etc. It’s awesome because you feel like you can achieve the looks of these Instagram idols, whose closets you drool over on a daily basis.

4. ShopStyle

If you’re more interested in buying clothes, ShopStyle is a great app for you. The way it works is you choose items from a list that you really love. The app then generates similar items that might spark your attention. It suggests things in different price ranges and brands, giving you a large array of clothing and accessories to choose from.  

5. Style.com

Lastly, Style.com is an app that has an extremely popular website following. This app allows you to view fashion shows from Fashion Week and keep up to date with your favorite designer looks. The app is owned by Conde Nast, the most reputable fashion name out there.  It’s a great resource to always be up to date on what is happening and what is trendy in the fashion world!

The best part about all these apps is that they’re all FREE. Accessing them is as easy as downloading Instagram on your smartphone. I swear by these apps to keep me in the loop of one of the world’s most dynamic industries. I hope you enjoy some of these, and don’t get too addicted to them!

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.