20 Lessons From RuPaul’s Drag Race

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

If you’ve never seen an episode of RuPaul’s Drag Race, go watch one right now. America’s Next Top Model meets Project Runway meets the drag queen community in this fabulous quest to find America’s next drag superstar. It may be a show about drag queens who get into petty fights and say silly things, but this show is REAL and has many valuable life lessons. Here are a few that I’ve learned from binge watching season after season on Amazon prime video.

1. You better work.

2. 5 Gs please: Good God, Get a Grip Girl.

3. Water off a duck’s back.

4. Don’t be a basic chick.

5. Reading (AKA throwing shade) is a fundamental right, and sometimes a girl’s gotta be read. So throw some shade when necessary (especially with friends when it’s for their own good).

6. Show them who’s boss.

7. “True wealth is having the knowledge to maneuver and navigate the mental obstacles that inhibit your ability to soar.”

8. Feel yourself at all times. Serve up confident woman realness, you sickening queen!

9. “You are not your religion. You are not your skin color. You are not your gender, your politics, your career, or your marital status. You are none of the superficial things that this world deems important. The real you is the energy force that created the entire universe!”

10. We all make mistakes, and that’s okay!

11. Be honest about your opinions and beliefs.

11. Mama said, unless they gonna pay your bills, pay them no mind.

12. When in doubt, freak them out.

13. Own who you are and celebrate it, okay hunty!

14. Fake it ‘til you make it.

15. Charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent are all keys to success.

16. You can choose your own family – it’s more than just blood.

17. And to wrap it up…

18. …Don’t screw it up …

19. …and remember, if you can’t love yourself, how in the world are you gonna love somebody else? Can I get an amen?

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.