11 Thoughts You Have While Shopping At Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Whether you grew up with a Target in your hometown or never stepped foot in one, chances are you’ve heard of the new location in downtown Manhattan. Either way, if you haven’t visited, you should go ASAP! The locals are still weary, so the lines have yet to reach unbearable lengths. Plus, it’s Target–it’s basically heaven in store form. Here are eleven thoughts you’ll have when visiting.

1. You walk in and think: wait–this whole section is ONE dollar?

At most Target locations they have a handy dollar section near the store’s entrance full of fun knick knacks that you don’t really need, but that you’ll convince yourself that you do. Pocket change for a wall decal? Done.

2. Why are the swimsuits out already?

Target loves to have you prepared for all situations, year round. However, sometime this means they bring beach wear out while it’s still February. You might take it as a pointed remark reminding you to start making summer plans, but really it’s just how they do things around here.

3. I don’t have enough money for this.

Don’t stress about the fact that you want everything in sight. Everyone gets carried away under the bright red logo light every now and then. Just take a deep breath, put down the handfuls of unnecessary nail polishes and walk away.

4. Could there be any more sections??

From clothing to electronics to shoes and to groceries, Suburbia loves this place for a reason! You’ll feel overwhelmed at first, but you’ll soon learn to love how adventurous the outing to only one store can feel.

5. I was in the clothing section for how long!?

Looking at one swimsuit, turns into looking at one sweater…and so on and so forth. The construct of time just seems to dissolve at Target.

6. If I do groceries now, I can avoid the long lines at Trader Joe’s.

Living in New York City has most likely made you one savvy shopper, so you know to avoid a long line whenever possible. Time is money after all!

7. I definitely need to redecorate my entire apartment.

The best section at Target has to be the home decor. The prices are pretty hard to beat so you’ll walk around and feel like you’ve been gifted the interior design skills of Martha Stewart.

8. Ah, this reminds me of home so much! Can’t it be winter break already?

For those of us who grew up with a Target, walking into one will remind you of late afternoon trips with your mom. Only now she isn’t here to say no to all the things you want to buy. So feel free to say yes to all the boxes of cookies and hair products you want!

9. UNHEALTHY SNACKS.

If you’re used to doing most of your grocery shopping at Whole Foods, you’ll be very familiar with their baked, gluten-free, potato chip options. These are great, but on days when you’re really craving an authentic Ruffle or Lay’s chip, Target’s got your back.

10. I need to leave before I spend anymore money.

The cashier will definitely try to sign you up for a rewards card and you’ll definitely almost go for it. (These can actually be really helpful if you plan to come back often.) The cashier will also have the task of letting you know that you spent a bit more than you thought you would.

11. I can’t wait to come back next week.

No matter how much money you spend or how overwhelmed you feel by the purchasing opportunities, chances are you’ll still walk out thinking: where has this place been all my life?

Zuleyma is a staff writer for HerCampus and currently a freshman at NYU. She hails from beautiful and sunny Southern California, but is currently having a blast making friends and exploring all the hidden gems of New York CIty. When she's not busy writing, you can find her searching for vinyl on Bleecker St., eating grilled cheeses, or daydreaming about Mario Kart. You can find her on instagram at @zvleyma
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.