10 Tips For Getting Your First Off-Campus Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

Getting an apartment in New York City is one of the most stressful things you can do outside of (maybe) finding a job. New York real estate just doesn’t stay on the market for long, and having to navigate a sea of choices in different boroughs with different broker’s fees and nearby subways can seem just short of impossible.

The thing is, getting an apartment has the potential to be significantly cheaper than dorming when done right. Housing costs in highly sought after dorms like Palladium, Gramercy, and Alumni are all between $15,000 and $22,000 each academic year, which only includes about 9 months. That’s anywhere from $1,600 to $2,500 a month, which is significantly higher than the monthly rent of a room in an off-campus (and probably much nicer) apartment. These tips will help you find the affordable apartment you’ve been looking for, whether you’re getting a place with friends or on your own.

1. Have an idea of what’s important to you

You can’t look for an apartment until you know what you want the most. As an NYU student or recent graduate, it’s probably not realistic to expect that you’ll get everything you want, but knowing which aspects of a new apartment are most important to you will help you decide between your choices later on. It’ll also help you decide which neighborhoods to look most closely at.

Do you want to be within 5 minutes of a subway station or is a 10-15 minute walk okay with you? Do you want your room to fit a queen size bed or are you okay with a smaller room if it’s a luxury apartment or if the location is better? Do you want your area to feel more busy or residential? How long of a commute can you stand? Do you currently have a pet or want one in the future?

These are all really important questions to consider before you even start apartment hunting. Typically, neighborhoods in the outer boroughs have bigger rooms, but the commute is longer. Neighborhoods like the West Village and Bensonhurst tend to have a residential feel, while neighborhoods like the East Village and Williamsburg feel busier and have a more active nightlife. Knowing what you’re looking for will help you focus your interest on a few areas that are most likely to give you what you want.

2. Choose your roommates carefully (or hunt solo!)

Just because you’re best friends with someone doesn’t mean you should live with them. Sometimes best friends do really well as roommates since they have similar lifestyles and friends. Other times it can put strain on the relationship because they see each other too often or one is way cleaner than the other. Are you living with two friends who run in different circles? Do they like each other? Do their dorms/habits now look similar as far as cleanliness and lifestyle? Sometimes these problems are alleviated when you have separate bedrooms, but sometimes they’re not, and since you probably won’t be able to get out of a lease for a year, it’s a good idea to set yourself up for the best living situation possible.

3. Decide how long you’re going to stay there

Are you looking for a place to stay for a few months, for a year, or for the forseeable future? Are you studying abroad for a semester and subletting your apartment while you’re away? You should keep that in mind as you look for a lease. If you’re looking to stay in a place long-term, you should keep in mind not only the things that are important to you now, but also the things that will be important to you in a few years. Are you likely to want a pet? Is your nearby subway going to be under construction? These are things worth keeping in mind.

4. Pay attention to which subway lines are close by

Not all subways are created equal. Some subway lines are notorious for breaking down frequently and others don’t come directly to NYU. Also, the L train is probably going to be shut down in 2018 and 2019, so if you’re thinking about getting a place on the L, that’s something you’ll want to keep in mind.

5. Look at listings everywhere

There are about a million NYC apartment hunting websites and apps that you can browse when you’re looking for a place, and you should at least glance at all of them. Naked Apartments, StreetEasy and Nooklyn can all be great resources, especially if you’re moving with a group of friends. Craigslist is also a really great option, and may be the best option if you’re looking for a really affordable place and/or are moving alone. With Craigslist, you get to view listings from people who have an extra room and are looking for roommates as well as listings from brokers renting out entire (often newly renovated) buildings. The listings there are often cheaper than listings elsewhere and there are options to lease a whole apartment or to lease just a room in an apartment.

6. Ask questions

When you go look at the listings you like, make sure to ask questions about both the apartment and the area. Where is the closest grocery store? Is there laundry in the building? If not, where’s the closest place to do it? What are the dimensions of the room? Are there size or breed restrictions on pets? Don’t be afraid to ask all these questions and more of the person showing you the apartment. It’s their job to know these basics, especially if you’d be paying them a broker’s fee to move in. You’ll be living there for a year; make sure it’s the right place for you before you sign a lease.

7. Visit your potential new neighborhoods

Make sure you visit and walk around the neighborhoods you’re looking at places in. Try to do this at different times of day and night if you can; you should feel comfortable walking home even if it’s 4 a.m. and you’ve been drinking. You should also really love the atmosphere, because even if you’ll be in the village for classes, the bulk of your time will probably be spent in your new neighborhood.

8. Write it down

Honestly, one of the most stressful parts about apartment hunting can be trying to make a decision. You’ll see a ton of places over a period of just a few days to a week and a lot of times the things you loved and hated about each of them can be really different. Making a written list of pros and cons can sometimes help you sort this out better than just fighting it out in your head. Including on this list the rent, neighborhood, broker’s fee, and number of bedrooms can also simplify things as it will keep all relevant information in one place.

9. Talk to friends and relatives

Although in the end it’s your choice which apartment you choose, talking to friends and relatives, especially those with different opinions than yours, can really help make things easier for you. When I was looking for my apartment, for example, I called my younger brother because he’s my exact opposite in every way, and I knew his perspective would be something I hadn’t already considered. This different perspective can highlight either strengths or flaws about the place that you never would have noticed on your own, and that can help you make a more confident decision.

10. Move quickly

The NYC housing market moves very quickly. You likely won’t have much time after viewing a place to decide whether or not you’re going to take it. Because of this, you’ll probably have to carve out a few days in your schedule for apartment hunting to be your top priority and make your decision pretty soon after viewing the last apartment you’re planning to see. And if you find a place that’s perfect for you, act quickly and take it, because in NYC if you don’t, someone else will.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.