10 Things You Can Relate to When You’re BFFs w/ Your Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

1. Your call history is 90% your mom.

Whether you need some company on your walk to class or just need someone to calm you down when you’re feeling overwhelmed, your mom is your go-to person for all things everything related.

2. You tell her EVERYTHING

Boy drama, your friend’s boy drama, your friend’s friend’s boy drama, your mom has it all memorized inside and out, and can offer advice when you ask for it (and when you don’t). You know she’ll be the one to pick up the pieces when you do too many toxic things and end up broken, and will also give you her honest opinion when she knows you can take it.

3. You always have a number 1 fan.

You have someone who will always like your social media posts the second you post them, and someone who will hype up your selfies when nobody else will. Whether you’re thriving and you need someone to brag to, or you’re miserably failing and you need someone to get you back on your feet, you know you can always turn to your mom, and that is the most comforting feeling in the world.

4. You’re not afraid to argue!

Your mom and you talk so often, so you’re bound to bicker about a few things (or a lot of things). It’s fine though, because you’re great at communicating with each other, and you know that at the end of the day, you love each other more than you love being right, which is a huge deal.

5. She knows you better than you know yourself.

Remember that piercing she told you not to get that got infected and eventually closed? Remember that boy she hated that played you like a guitar? Your mom knows what’s best for you and what you want much better than you do, but it’s okay because even though you probably won’t listen to her, it’s fun having a psychic around once in awhile.

6. You always have someone to go to for advice.

Whether you need a second opinion for a less conventional outfit or you need someone to be on your side for your relationship issues, your mom is always the first person you go to, and the last person you take into account before your final decision.

7. You don’t even need words to communicate.

You’ve developed a secret facial expression language that the two of you understand inside and out, so you can communicate around people you know without them even knowing about it.

8. You watch shows together.

Going out with your friends is great, but sometimes all you want to do is watch your favorite show with your mom and talk about how awesome your show is (or complain about how extra Corrine is).

9. You share clothes!

Even when you were 5 years old and nothing fit correctly, you still found a way to make her t-shirt into a cute dress. Now that you’re older, you can justify more expensive purses or shoes because you know that you’ll both be able to use them!

10. She’s your role model.

You of all people are aware of her flaws, because you’re so close to her, but that doesn’t make a difference. She’s the most powerful and beautiful woman you know, and you aspire to be the woman that she is so you can make her proud. You’re in awe of how one person can accomplish so much and love so hard, and that is why you’re so proud of having her as your mom.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Sonam is a freshman studying Economics and Psychology, and minoring in Business. 
Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com