10 Spotify Playlists That Will Help You De-Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

It’s that time of year–we’re emotionally distressed by the proximity of summer and the number of deadlines we have to meet before we’re fully free for the year. Whether you need to listen to music to wind down, study, cook, or concentrate, here is a list of 10 playlists that have gotten me through March and April.  

1. “Spotify Sessions: Singles” by Spotify

Yoke Lore’s “Truly Madly Deeply” cover for Spotify Singles

Specially recorded for Spotify, these singles by your favorite artists can only be found in this streaming service. From Harry Styles drifting us away by singing Little Big Town’s “Girl Crush,” Fall Out Boy taking on Whitney Houston’s “I Want to Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me),” and Yoke Lore delivering 90s teen heartbreak with Savage Garden’s “Truly Madly Deeply,” there are some deep-record-box-dive gems in this playlist.

2. “Work: Dance Rhythms” by Spotify

“Willing” by Fritz Kalkbrenner can be found in this playlist.

Need to get work done fast and a background beat to power through? This playlist is for you–short, sweet, and to the point. A balanced mix of popularly known songs and chill new finds, this playlist surprised me the first time I heard it. A bit of Lorde with Disclosure, Mr. Probz and a Tom Odell edit played smoothly one after the other, creating a productive but relaxed vibe to get work done.

3. “Nike Running Tempo Mix” by NikeWomen

Nike Running Tempo Mix” by NikeWomen on Spotify

Whether you’re strutting up and down Fifth Avenue or working out by the Hudson, this playlist will set you in the mood. Updated with new songs, let this playlist’s tempo take over your mind while you take a break from school.

4. “Women of Rock” by Spotify

Stevie Nicks as the cover for Spotify’s “Women of Rock

Blondie, Nicks, Joplin, Benatar, Morissette, and Lennox meet the new generation of female rock in a playlist curated to motivate you to stomp through your daily encounters with *〜the patriarchy〜*. Great music, amazing ladies, enough said.

5. “One Tree Hill” by allyiepaige

“One Tree Hill” by allyiepaige playlist cover on Spotify

Can’t remember that song from OTH? Never found the tear-jerking, angsty teen song that played in the background when Peyton Sawyer, Brooke Davis, and Haley James had to deal with the Scott Brothers’ drama? Well, here they are–104 songs, seven hours and 19 minutes of -–what I rate as–one of the most popular and well curated soundtracks of a nine-year-long series that defined our generation. Clichéd description? Maybe. But most probably we all cried at least once when watching it–or binge-watching it while it was on Netflix.

6. “Folk Rock Chill” by Spotify

Mt. Joy featured in Spotify’s cover for “Folk Rock Chill” on April 17, 2018

Spotify describes it as “a chill mix of electric roots rock and folk-infused alternative.” Roadtrips, late nights, cooking, plane rides, I’ve played this playlist more than enough times. This playlist has helped me power through when blocked while writing a paper.  

7. “Portuguese Music” by crandan08512

Portuguese Music” by crandan08512 playlist cover on Spotify​

I had my doubts when my Portuguese professor recommended we play portuguese music in the background while we worked–the idea of my playlists bringing something new to the mix while I was trying to get work done was somewhat daunting. However, I was truly surprised by this playlist. Catchy music with some uplifting beats, not as heavy as reggaetón but not as mellow as other genres, this playlist will get your brain on a roll while listening to a new language and getting schoolwork done.

8. “Acoustic Covers” by Spotify

Spotify’s “Acoustic Covers” featuring First Aid Kit as the cover on April 16, 2018.

Personally, listening to acoustic covers is emotionally conflicting–I feel like I’m cheating on the original, but hearing new interpretations of popular tracks is my guilty pleasure. When I’m trying to get work done, listening to variations of songs I know helps me concentrate. I cannot immediately dance or sing to them, but the difference in riffs stimulate my senses enough that they do not distract me, nor do they demand my attention as a completely new song would. Spotify updates it now and then, so there are always new finds.

9. “Your Discover Weekly” by Spotify

My own Discover Weekly

After a funny yet scary ad campaign based on users’ collected data and personalized end-of-year playlists for every user, there’s no doubt that Spotify tracks every one of our clicks. Might as well take advantage of it–based on your recent plays and saved songs, every Monday Spotify creates playlists specially for you. As Spotify brands it, find your “weekly mixtape of fresh music” in “Your Discover Weekly.”

10. “Perreo pa’ la banda” by Ricardo Martinez

“Fénix” by Nicky Jam

Cardi B, J Balvin and Ozuna in the same track? It’s there. Nicky Jam and Danny Ocean’s poolside beats? Present. Reggaetón masters Wisin and Yandel? Obviously. Whether you need a mood booster while working, paced beats to get your groove on or are preparing for a night out, this playlist has a curated variation of different reggaetón vibes that are great for different occasions.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Grace is currently a senior at New York University majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. Although born in California and raised in Dallas, Texas, Grace considers Seoul, South Korea to be her home sweet home. At school, Grace serves as the Editor-In-Chief at Her Campus NYU, President at Freedom for North Korea (an issue very personal to her), and Engagement Director of the Coalition of Minority Journalists. She is currently interning at Turner's Strategic Communications team while serving as a PA at CNN. In her free time, Grace loves to sing jazz, run outside, read the news, go on photography excursions, and get to know people around her-- hence, her passion for conducting Her Campus profiles. She can be reached at: gracemoon@hercampus.com