10 Reasons Why Guy Friends Are the Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NYU chapter.

1. No Judgment

Most guys won’t care if you look like a mess or if you act like some kind of animal when you shovel down pizza. You don’t have to worry about your guy pals tagging you in unflattering Facebook photos either. Best of all, you can laugh at extremely dumb humour without any form of judgment against you.

2. Great Advice

Guys will tell it like it is. There is no sugarcoating, and there are no passive-aggressive messages. Your guy friends will tell you what you need to hear, even if it is not always what you want to hear.

3. Miraculous Last-Minute Dates

For times when you don’t have the guts to go to a party alone, or if you are in need of a date for some kind of formal event, guy friends are the absolute best. Guy friends will also be there to help you if the night takes a wrong turn. Plus, if you’re hungry at the end of the night, they’ll definitely go get food with you – no questions asked.

4. Less Drama

For the most part, guys tend to hate drama. Rather than going around in secretive, petty ways avoiding confrontation, guys will directly approach you about almost any situation. While this blunt confrontational method can be harsh, it really saves you a lot of time and energy.

5. Camping Companions

For those of you who love to go camping and adventure outdoors, guys make great camping company. If you don’t want to or don’t know how to put up a tent or make a fire, they will gladly do it – or if you forget items to help make a fire, there are guys who always carry self-lighting coal in the back of their trucks.

6. Wingmen

Guys know about guys just as well as girls know about girls. We can spot girls who try too hard or girls who are just leading guys on. Likewise, they can easily differentiate guys who are complete jerks from guys who are genuinely interested in you for who you are. Thus, your guy friends serve as the best wingmen to find you the ideal, date-worthy men.

7. Protective “Older Brothers”

If you meet boys who end up being complete jerks, your guy friends can come to your rescue. Additionally, it is always beneficial to have guy friends who will help you identify standards you should have, such as how it is not okay if someone breaks up with you via text message.

8. Funny Humor

This point was briefly mentioned earlier, but must be reiterated. If you want to laugh about butts, bathrooms, poop or anything that has the maturity-level of middle school humor, most guys will be more than happy to provide you with this comedic material. Laughter is just the best medicine sometimes.

9. Food Anytime, Anywhere

Have you ever gone to the grocery store hungry…with two collegiate boys? Guy friends are fantastic if you need someone to finish your leftovers, but also beware that you might end up buying more than you need.

10. Great Listeners

Guys make incredible listeners. If you want to blab for hours and hours about anything, they will be there (preferably with food, but hey—no guarantees). In addition to listening, the best guy friends will reciprocate with equally invigorating conversation.

Images: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10

Hey, I'm Tiffanie Snyder! Studying MCC at NYU as a junior, I spend my time immersing myself in any kind of movie, book or magazine I can find. Chai tea is my beverage of choice, and I love almost all food. I have a Pomeranian named Tackle. I am writing for HerCampus's Blog section.
Erin is a senior and former Campus Correspondent at NYU studying Comparative Literature and Music. On most days, you can find her at local coffee shops or cafés with her nose in a book. When she's not falling in love with fictional characters, she's blogging away on her lifestyle blog. If Erin is "busy", she is either in choir rehearsal or thinking of creative ways to conquer the literary world.