This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Summer. It’s almost here. You’ve probably tried one of Starbucks’ new Frappuccinos, you’ve dedicated time to scrolling through ASOS looking to improve your bikini collection, and the fairer among you may even have a tender sunburn. The long university break is coming up, and here are some top reasons (like you needed any more convincing) why you need to take time to go abroad:

1. Meeting new people

When you travel, you come into contact with strangers from all walks of life. You can swap stories, make memories, and gain a greater understanding of the many different cultures that make up our world. These new links may even come in handy in the future, so it’s practically networking and therefore very beneficial to your future!

2. Trying new foods

After a year spent eating pasta with tomato sauce night after night, perhaps ordering a Domino’s on the weekend as a treat, it’s time to expand your palate. Be bold, order something you can’t pronounce, venture to local markets: you may even get some new culinary ideas to help you out next year when you need that post-lecture boost and a reminder of better times.

3. Vitamin D

Whilst experts say you only need 20 minutes of sunshine a day to fulfill this need, think of all those hours spent in the library during exam time when you barely ventured outside. It’s time to make up for that obvious *deficiency* and soak up some rays sprawled out on the beach. You’re basically thinking about your health and wellbeing with this one, so it’s very responsible. 4. Learning something new

Whether it be a few local phrases that mean you can order gelato in Italy, a herbal cooking class in Thailand, or a surf class in Australia, there are some things you simply learn by doing and you can’t get out of a textbook. Expand your mind and further your education in a whole new way.

5.  Independence

You may be thinking you spend the majority of the year living away from home so you’ve got this one nailed, but how would you cope abroad finding transport links when nobody speaks English, booking hostels that don’t have a spider infestation, or finding your way around a new city without Google Maps? You learn to think for yourself when you go travelling, and your experience will purely be what you make of it.

6. Technology detox

This links nicely into a point about phones. We’re on them constantly, we rely on them far too much, and we often allow them to take over, replacing a social life with social media. Wifi is increasingly available internationally, but take the time to reconnect with your fellow travellers and the world around you – before hitting up the local Internet café to share your envy-inducing snaps to Instagram.

7. Moments to remember

In all sincerity, my most treasured memories are those made abroad. It’s where I most feel like myself whilst simultaneously finding out who that is. It’s a chance to relax and unwind from the pressures of everyday life, whilst also filling your time with new experiences you could never have at home. There’s no substitute for the moments I can recall like sunset boat trips around Zanzibar island, camping out in the Australian outback, or seeing elephants in their natural habitat on safari in Uganda. As tempting as it may be to work all summer and save for next year, travel truly is the only thing you can buy that will make you richer.

Edited by Naomi Upton

Image sources:

https://www.misstravel.com/blog/be-a-travel-girl-helpful-tips-for-traveling-the-world/

https://theogsb.com/hotels/travel-tips-you-may-not-think-of/

http://www.keytotheheart.co/post/100129191242/how-to-stay-sugar-free-while-travelling-heading

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels! 
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.