jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why it’s Okay to be Single and Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Being single seems to have become taboo in society. If you’re single, there’s something wrong with you. The abundance of holiday advertisements don’t help: a subconscious reminder that you ought to be snuggled up by the fire watching Love Actually or ice-skating whilst holding hands or having a hot-chocolate date with that special someone. As much as it would be fantastic to have someone to do all those things with, it shouldn’t be considered ‘bad’ to be single. Be proud to be single and enjoy the finer things in life… 1. Me-time

Today I was wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa, wearing an obscene Christmas jumper and eating a tub of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream whilst shouting pointless general knowledge at Alexander Armstrong on the TV. It was glorious.

Me time is of the utmost importance; you don’t have to worry about studying or your future or your appearance. You can instead find yourself without commitment and responsibilities and just chillax in your own little snuggle-cave. I’m not saying couples can’t do this – it’s important to have your couple snuggle-caves too – but the freedom you feel when you don’t have to impress anyone or go out of your way to meet up with someone truly is a liberty.

Sometimes all you need is your own little personal bubble without interruptions and sometimes relationships can interfere with that. Even in relationships, you need your own little bubble before you get suffocated. But when you’re a single-pringle? You get all the bubble space you need, whenever you need, however you need it. You can put yourself first. 2. Halving Your Worries

As a third year, I’m reaching that part of life where a lot of my friends are running around like headless chickens, worried about what the future holds for themselves and their partner.

It often sounds a little like the gibberish gobbling of a wounded turkey:

Do we move in together? Do we move to Nottingham? To London? To Manchester? Do we split the costs? What if I can’t find a job? Does this mean we have to get married? Do we get a house, a flat? Will I be too far away from my family, my friends? What if we don’t move in together, will be break up?

As much as I can admit to jealously on this part, who doesn’t want to finally do that adult-thing of settling down, maybe starting a new life together? I also thank the Gods that this particular stress has skipped over me. Not only have I avoided the 3 year long task of travel expenditure visiting a boyfriend or girlfriend during term-time or during the holidays (I’m not quite that familiar with East Midlands Train Service just yet), I now don’t have to concern myself on that scary aspect of ‘the future’ that includes some other person. The focus is just on me. Real life problems that belong to me.

Roll on moving in with mum and searching for a job and house with just moi! I’m stressed already, don’t add another dysfunctional human into that blob of a disaster! Real life problems times one are frightening enough, thank you very much.3. Young and Free

Now relationships aren’t like wearing chains that restrict your every move, however there are a few little sacrifices you have to make to ensure the relationship works. One of those is flirting.

Many a time I’ve been at a party or a bar, I’ve thought someone was good-looking, made a comment to my girlies and suddenly it’s a little circle of girly gossip (who doesn’t love that). The beauty of being the single one? I can go talk to that someone. I can ‘bump’ into them, make polite conversation, make impolite conversation (if you know what I mean).The choice is there. I can go and chat with the gorgeous guy with the floppy hair at the bar even if I’m inevitably going to gurgle like a drowning fish. All because I have no commitment to a beloved floating about somewhere in the world.

I can set up Tinder accounts if I want. I can go to those god-awful traffic light parties in a green dress if I want, I can flirt with the barman, I can date and have (safe) sex if I want to. I can do all these wonderful and cringey things without a shred of guilt. If not anything else, flirting and freedom can be one massive video game level of building self-confidence experience.

Be young, be free and love it. Don’t worry that you’re not in a cute relationship; we’re young so go out and experience the world and all the strange and wonderful people it has to offer.

Be proud to be single. A relationship comes around when you’re most comfortable with yourself, so enjoy your single-time in preparation for the inevitable love-train coming your way!

Edited by Sarah Holmes

Image sources:

RebelCircus: http://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/why-your-dry-spell-isnt-the-worst-thing-…

Fantoosy: http://fantoosy.com/10-reasons-why-one-should-do-a-solo-trip-once-in-a-l…

NewsCult: http://newscult.com/better-single-valentines-day/

TheSpiritScience.net: http://thespiritscience.net/2015/10/26/12-strong-signs-you-enjoy-and-act…

I am a third-year English and Creative Writing student originally from Essex with a passion for tea-brewing, gaming and film-watching. A slightly crazy 20-something, I am a member of FlairSoc (a cocktail making society) and have a real enthusiasm for socialising and learning new things. Whilst writing and cocktail-making may be a few of my past-times, I also am involved with a charity organisation called First Story that seeks to engage senior school children with creative writing.
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.