What to Wear for a Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So you’ve been through the long, long process of tirelessly searching for internships/jobs. You’ve spent hours filling out the online applications for countless companies and what feels like an eternity has been spent on the horrendous reasoning tests that are really designed to eliminate everyone who called it quits on maths at GCSE.

But it’s happened – someone’s finally got back to you requesting a face-to-face interview! In a mixture of nervous excitement and dread, you prepare answers to questions everyone tells you they’re going to ask you and scramble for interesting facts about yourself. Yes these are obviously important and may or may not score you the job; but equally crucial is what you wear – first impressions make a massive difference, as does your demeanor. Walk into the interview looking scruffy and not appropriate for the job, the interviewer’s decision will instantly be made: it’s a no. Walking in looking smart, confident and friendly can only benefit you and add to your fantastically prepared answers.

So what do you wear?

Ultimately how versatile you can be with your outfit depends on the job, but essentially the answer is formal. No matter what you’ve seen or heard about the employers, copying them and wearing trainers is not going to look good, even if you’re interviewing for Nike. Fear not! This doesn’t mean you have to be boring. Here are a few simple tips to looking professional and fabulous for that interview…

1. Don’t wear anything too short

It may seem an obvious tip but many fashionable skirts from the high street cut waaaay shorter than what would be deemed appropriate for an interview. Try not to wear anything more than an inch or so above the knee as it might give the interviewer the wrong idea and suggest you don’t know the job’s etiquette.

2. Wear fitted pieces

You want to look professional. Fitted pieces that skim your body flatteringly will make you smart and polished- avoid anything tight-fitting that reveals your cleavage.

3. Wear colour and mix textures!

Stand out from the sea of black suits and make your outfit your own. This might mean mixing a soft leather pencil skirt with a pastel cashmere jumper, or a colour-blocked dress with a different coloured handbag. Even a colourful jacket can liven up the dullest outfit! This being said, try not to wear anything lacy, sheer or frilly as it might look slightly childish.

4. Accessorize

Even the strictest dress codes allow the opportunity to add some excitement through accessories. Choose a statement piece, like a necklace or ring, and keep the rest simple. Wear shoes that you’ve worn in but still look polished and clean – you don’t want to be in agony whilst you’re trying to impress. Make sure to not wear too high a heel and make sure you’re comfortable walking in them!

5. Keep hair and make up clean

Most people feel a little more put together with their hair and make up done, and you definitely want to feel this way in an interview! Try not to wear too much make up –  if you’re feeling brave, eyeliner and a bold lip colour will add a powerful edge to your outfit. If you’re more of an eyeshadow girl, stick to neutrals. Style your hair to look sleek, not like you’ve just got out of bed, even if that’s your go to look! Also keep your hair off your face, whether pushed back or in an up-do. This allows the interviewer to see you properly and shows you have nothing to hide behind – you look confident!

Whilst the sky might not quite be your limit, experiment in the days before your interview to see what works well together whilst looking sophisticated. You don’t want to be rushing around hours before wondering what to wear! Your outfit should look neat and tidy – try to use an iron on any creases before you head to the office. Most importantly, smile! Your smile is more important than any clothing to ensure you come across as the friendly, intelligent person that you are. Good Luck!

Edited by Lucy Jackman 

Sources:

www.bbc.co.uk

www.community.spotted.tv

www.buzzfeed.com