What It’s Really Like To Be An American Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As part of our USA themed week, we interview Dimitros Potsos, current treasurer of the AmeriCan Society at UoN. A student of Chemical Engineering, he is currently in his third year at the University, and grew up in a small town in Michigan called Dexter.

We ask him about his experiences studying abroad in Nottingham…

1. Why did you choose to study abroad?

I decided that I needed a new experience. I wanted to be involved with other cultures, but to also explore new places. I had also just completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma so had the opportunity to apply abroad.

When coming to choose a country, I heard great things about the British education system, but I also have some relatives in Gloucestershire, so it felt like the UK was the best choice for me.

2. Why did you pick Nottingham in particular?

Nottingham’s campus was the prettiest of all of my options. The parks and open spaces remind me of the campuses back home – the Midwest is known for it’s green and large campuses.

I had also heard great things about the engineering department here and the graduate hiring percentage. All of this, among other factors, brought me here.

3. What was the application process like for UK universities compared to the US system?

Just like any student in the UK, I completed UCAS to submit my application. In the US, we’re slowly transitioning to a similar system. This system is called the Common Ap. Unlike UCAS though, you can apply to as many unis as you want.

As for myself, I applied to 22. Before this, all universities had their own system. There’s still a significant number of unis that do this. Sometimes the application is online, while at other times it’s via paper and mail.

You also don’t apply for your ‘major’ right away, at least not typically. You’re not expected to decide until your 3rd year (called Junior year in the US) and as a result many students are labelled as ‘undecided’ for the first half of their university experience.

4. What do you think the main difference is studying in the UK versus US?

Although I never studied at University in the US, I’m familiar with the life through my friends back home. I think the party and nightlife scene is completely different.

Due to the drinking age in America, there are a lot more house parties than club nights. In the city near me, which is very comparable to Nottingham in population and university students, there are only two clubs, each which only operate on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

As for academics, an undergraduate degree is 4 years in the US. This is because of what we call ‘Gen-Ed’, or general education. The first year or so of your degree doesn’t focus on your course at all. Instead, you’re required to take a large variety of classes: from a gym class to a language class to a math class. This is common for all students, no matter your ‘major’.

5. What do you miss most about home when you’re studying abroad? Is there anything you always bring with you?

With no doubt it’s my family. My siblings are much younger than me, so it’s super hard to say goodbye and to not be able to see them grow up. I try my best to video call them as much as I can.

When I come back to the UK, I’m always sure to bring food that I know I’ll never find here. One example is Jif peanut butter. I’ve yet to find a brand I like here. I also make sure to eat as much as American specific cuisine when I am home. Things like burgers (which are 100% better back home) and root beer.

The past two years, I brought a lot less with me than I used to. Spending time here has gotten me used to the British food and I’ve certainly grown accustomed to it.

6. What about things you bring back to the US over the holidays?

I always bring back chocolate and sweets for my sister and brother. Beyond that, I have a small obsession with mince pies, so I make sure to bring enough to satisfy me for the holiday season. It’s always tough to decide what to bring back, especially with the weight limit for luggage on planes.

7. Have you found yourself picking up any UK slang? Do your family notice a difference when you go back home?

All the time! My brother is always calling me out on it. I try my best to correct myself before I say the British phrase over the American one, but I’m not always successful.

Beyond that, I’ve also noticed that some parts of my original accent have been made more extreme. Most notably is the Midwestern parts. Things like saying ‘melk’ for ‘milk’ and ‘ope’ when bumping into someone.

As for British slang, I’ve slowly adjusted to the way of saying ‘university’ rather than ‘college’, or ‘autumn’ over ‘fall’. I’ve also been said to pronounce things more like a Brit than an American.

8. Have you managed to see other areas of the UK whilst studying?

I’ve tried to do some traveling when I have time to. There’s so many cool places in the UK and it’s almost impossible to seem them all, even without my crazy schedule. Just being here is cool.

There are buildings that are twice as old as my country! I think that’s something that some Brits take that for granted. As for places in the UK I’ve seen, I’ve been to the Peak District and London so far. London was a great time – I loved exploring all of the museums and walking the streets of Mayfair.

All images interviewee’s own

Thumbnail

Contributor account for HC Sonoma
Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!