Urban Decay Naked Heat Palette- is it worth the hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s safe to say that every time Urban Decay releases a new eye shadow palette as part of their famous Naked line, the whole beauty world goes into a meltdown. Widely known for their high quality shadows and eye-catching packaging, it’s no surprise that they have a huge waiting list before every release. Their most recent addition to go alongside Naked 1, 2, and 3, smoky and basics comes in the form of Naked Heat, a beautiful warm-toned palette with the perfect autumnal shades.

Is it worth the hype though? At £39.50, it isn’t cheap. I’ve put it to the test to see whether we should save our pennies or whether it’s worth the splurge.

The Pros

Like Urban Decay’s other Naked palettes, Heat includes 12 shades and a double ended brush so you’re getting your money’s worth. There’s a nice mixture of mattes (7 shadows), shimmers (2 shadows) and glitters (3 shadows), so you can get many versatile, uniformed looks for many occasions.

The packaging is much sturdier than Naked 1, 2 and 3, so your beloved shadows will be well protected when travelling. If you’ve tried any Urban Decay eye shadow before, you will know that the quality is one of the best. Each eye shadow is highly pigmented and extremely easy to blend. When used with a primer, they really do last all night.

But really aside from all the technical stuff, the biggest pro of this palette is that it is just stunning. I mean, just look at it! The warm shades are perfect for this autumnal season and resemble autumn leaves. The shadows would particularly make green and brown eyes pop due to their warm undertones.

The Cons

However, no palette is perfect and there are sadly some negatives. The glitterier shades (Lumbre, Dirty Talk, Scorched and Ember) do have some fall out so I would recommend spritzing your brush with some setting spray beforehand. While the packaging is sturdy, it is quite large and bulky so would not be ideal for travelling.

My biggest criticism with this palette and it pains me to say it, is that it is not ideal for every day use. It does have some mattes and more subtle shades (see the left side of the palette) but only one look and even that is on the more dramatic side.

So do you need it?

I wouldn’t say you need it, but you certainly will want it! It is a gorgeous palette and amazing for nights out but the lack of daytime appropriate shades is what is making me say you don’t need it. There are many other palettes that have day and night shades so they would be considered more worth the investment. Maybe one to treat yourself with?

Looks to try

If I’ve successfully tempted you to try this palette, I’ve put together some look ideas. For daytime, apply ‘ounce’ all over the lid to the brow bone to highlight and create a base. Press ‘chaser’ all over the lid and blend ‘sauced’ in to the crease to define. Finish by applying ‘low blow’ on a thin brush to the upper and lower lash line for a soft faux eyeliner effect.

For a more dramatic evening look, blend ‘Cayenne’ in to the crease and outer corner to act as a transition shade. Apply ‘scorched’ all over the lid before blending ‘En Fuego’ in to the crease and outer corner to define. Use ashes on a small brush for a faux eyeliner and bring the look together. Add ‘ounce’ to the inner corner of your eye to highlight and to open up the eye.

Image Sources

1

2

3

Josie Severn

Nottingham

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!