Travel Blog: Aller à Paris!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Paris is one of the most beautiful cities to visit in the world, but as a student it can be difficult to afford a luxurious weekend away in between regular trips to Sainsbury’s Local and mandatory nights out, enforced by FOMO. Yet being a student can also have surprising benefits, such as a knack for spotting bargains and deals, which when put to good use, can make a continental getaway a reality, rather than a dream! So, here are some handy tips for seeing all the best bits of Paris on a budget!

Days out

A referendum may be considering whether our membership to the EU is worthwhile, but for the time being it can have its uses. A UK driving licence can provide FREE entry into almost all of the main attractions across the city, including the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Arc de Triomphe. At the Musée du Louvre and the Pomidou Centre, while entry to some of the exhibitions in the museums still comes at an extra cost, there is more than enough to be seen in the main collections. This information is not well advertised but it is there, so be sure to ask before you open your wallet if you’re not sure.

With all the money you’ll save, just remember to watch out for pickpockets operating in the most popular areas.

Travel

Our savvy student senses tell us to keep costs low at all times. Rather than spending a fortune on flights across the Channel, the Eurostar can provide travel for as little as £39 if you book early enough in advance and you’re willing to travel at “unsociable” hours (and let’s face it, if there’s anything students could be considered to naturally excel at, it’s being awake at questionable hours, so you might as well put this skill to use!)

Once in Paris, the Metro runs almost identically to the Underground in London, which means the Metro maps are pretty easy to follow. If you struggle to remember even the basics of your French GCSE, most local residents are able and more than willing to help you out in English (albeit perhaps with a slight accent!) A single ticket for the Metro will get you as far across the centre of Paris as you want to go and will cost only €1.70 each way. Compared to taking a taxi, given the traffic in the centre of Paris, the Metro is not just an efficient way to keep costs low but will also save time!

Food

Eating out can be the biggest expense when you’re away from home, but there is no reason why basic student practices should be abandoned when leaving the UK borders. There are plenty of small supermarkets across Paris where you can buy goodies for breakfast, including fresh croissants and pain au chocolats, as well as supplies to make up a packed lunch for the day. A four pack of fizzy drink will cost around €4 in these supermarkets – that’s the price food stands near the attractions charge for just one. Of course there are also fresh crêpes available at a reasonable price at stands throughout the city, which should definitely not be missed. Bon appétit!

Accommodation

The final challenge comes in finding reasonably priced accommodation in the city, either in the form of a hostel or a cheap hotel. Since both are available, this comes down to a matter of preference and a little bit of research. Handy sites for this include, www.hostelworld.com and www.hostelbookers.com, but there’s many more out there, it’s just a case of taking a quick look on the web!

Et Voilà! A perfect city break, without breaking the bank.

Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.