This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Taylor Swift’s Reputation has been floating around the music scene for a while now. It has received widespread positive reviews from both fans and critics alike, but with Taylor’s Reputation tour coming to the UK this summer, what are the best songs on her new album?

1. Getaway Car

Getaway Car is definitely one of the saddest of the tracks from Reputation, despite its uplifting beat. Behind the illusion of a pop song, the complex metaphor describes very accurately the premonition of a break-up that you just know is going to happen. And, well, you can’t help but feel sorry for anyone in that situation.

2. End Game

End Game, in contrast to Getaway Car, is far more positive both lyrically and musically. It sounds just like the optimistic lyrics that Taylor always writes. However, being placed at the start of the album, we all know that Taylor doesn’t get her end game with the man in question.

3. Don’t Blame Me

Don’t Blame Me is a haunting song about just how powerful love can be. It describes the all-consuming nature of being in a relationship and how it can make a person do all of the things that they shouldn’t be doing, but then goes a step further by saying that this is exactly what love should be. It’s theatrical, dark and upbeat at the same time, and I love it.

4. This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

Possibly one of the most relatable songs on the album, This is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things describes feuding friends in a witty and humorous way. Through the use of intertextual references to American novellas such as The Great Gatsby, Taylor perfectly sets the contrasting scene of Hollywood glam against the fakery of friendships that everyone experiences, from celebrities to their teenage fans.

5. Call It What You Want

Call It What You Want is possibly one of the most romantic songs on the album, and is appropriately placed towards the end. It perfectly rounds off the album as we finally come to learn that Taylor is in a far happier place than she was in her Getaway Car days.

By Chloe Clarke

Image Sources

1

2

Contributor account for HC Sonoma
Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!