Top 5 Reasons You Should Look Forward to Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

If, like me, you’re in your final year at uni, then the prospect of graduating is constantly in the back of your mind. Even though it’s only the beginning of the year everyone’s already talking about their plans post-uni. Unfortunately, the prospect of having to have a real life, find a job (how?!) and be fully responsible for yourself doesn’t really appeal. Still, I decided there must be some positives and I’ve picked out five reasons why graduating’s actually going to be totally great…maybe.

1) You no longer have to feel like the oldest person on campus

Having taken a gap year AND done a year abroad I am definitely feeling too old to be walking around campus. When I came back this year and was seeing 18-year-olds on their way to their first ever lecture I almost felt like crying. I doesn’t feel like that long ago that that was me and yet now I’m a fourth year. At least once we’re out in the real world we’ll be back to being spring chickens again!

2) Weekends start to mean something again

When you’re only in lectures and seminars a few hours a week, looking forward to the weekend doesn’t really seem necessary. Pretty much everyday is a Saturday and you go out whichever nights you feel like. This may sound ideal but by the time final year rolls around, at least for me, it’s starting to get a little samey. Maybe the routine of working all week and being able to look forward to those two days off will be a nice change. At least that’s what I’m telling myself!

3) No more referencing

However much writing the odd essay might seem preferable to having a full time job, I think I can safely say that no-one likes the boring task of referencing every book, journal article and website you’ve used. Once you’ve graduated you can finally be free of that boring task which always takes longer than you think it will.

4) It’s time for a fresh start

Uni is billed as the greatest period of your life, but by the time you’ve been at it for three or four years there’s a chance you might be craving a bit of a change of scenery. Even if you’re terrified of not having the safety net of student life, there is always a positive side to change as long as you can embrace it. And yes, we’re constantly being told that the future looks pretty bleak for us but there really are opportunities out there still and hopefully we’ll all be okay!

5) You have a degree!

Assuming everything goes to plan then you’ll finally have what you’ve been working for since freshers (okay well maybe not quite since freshers) and no-one can take that away from you. Plus you get to wear a fun gown and throw your hat in the air while everyone applauds you for doing so well!

So there you have it. I hope these five reasons have made you feel a little better about graduating should you be worrying about it as much as I am!

Photo Sources

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-it-s-almost-the-weekend-2.png

HerCampus Photo Bank

Edited by Caroline Chan

Amy Fulwood

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!