Top 10 Old and New Summer Tunes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.
Spring has sprung, the clocks have changed and I do believe over the past few weeks we’ve had the odd hot day here in Notts so this week I thought I’d recommend a few new summer songs to get you in the mood for sun and fun and also revisit a few old school summer tunes. 

Top 5 New Releases

5. Faul & Wad Ad vs. Pnau: Changes

This French electronic duo have made a great track for while you’re chilling in the garden – great brass section too so what more could you want?

4. Calvin Harris: Summer

The title says it all really!

3. Sigma: Nobody to Love

This track, sampling Kanye’s Bound 2 is the sound of summer. You just have to watch the video to get excited for a holiday! Road trip anyone?

2. The Vamps: Last Night

This band is my new guilty pleasure. They’re far too young for me but I just love their easy, fun songs that make me feel like I’m at school again! And the lead singer Brad’s voice is just lovely. 

1.Hippie Sabotage: Stay High

This is a great new chillout song that is being played a lot on Radio 1. I constantly find myself playing it over and over. Cannot get enough.

Top 5 Old School Summer Songs

5. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince: Summertime

This had to be included didn’t it really?! It’s a classic.

4. The Wanted: Glad You Came

I’m sure this was the soundtrack to a lot of people’s summers a few years back. It’s always a winner on the summer playlist.

3. All Saints: Pure Shores

This would be in my top 5 songs of all time. Despite the fact they’re in quite big coats in the video it’s the perfect chilled summer tune and is on the soundtrack of the film The Beach with Leonardo DiCaprio. If you haven’t seen it – you must.

2. Corinne Bailey Rae: Put Your Records On

For a more acoustic vibe, Corinne Bailey Rae’s voice in this song is perfect for a sunny afternoon at home.

1.Toots and the Maytals

Everyone should have at least a few tracks by Toots & the Maytals in their music collection. Reggae is guaranteed to get you chilled out and dreaming of sun.

Edited by Caroline Chan

Esme Dee

Nottingham

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!