Style Blog: S/S 13 Trend – Wearing White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This year’s spring and summer trend has taken a turn from bright prints and graphics to simplistic themes and colours. One of them big trends would be monochrome – white is definitely the colour to be seen in this summer. Many designers have displayed the white monochromes varieties up and down the catwalk. From Victoria Beckham to Stella McCartney and many celebrities like Miranda Kerr, Karlie Kloss and Alexa Chung have been spotted sporting white. This trend has become far from boring, with many different ways to wear white, here are some of the best white pieces I have picked.

You can’t go wrong with a white dress (although you can try not to spill anything on it). A white dress can definitely still be worn on a night out or worn for a casual garden party and is perfect for summer.

Waterfall Trapeze Dress – Topshop – £45

Cutwork Yoke Hem Dress – Warehouse – £55

Tulip Skirt Dress – Mango – £27.99

A white blazer is right on trend this spring/summer. It could be worn with an all white outfit or a black dress in the evening. It might be well suited too with a t-shirt and jeans during the day.

Natural White Jacket – H&M – £24.99

Double Breasted Blazer – Mango – £54.99

Ponte Jet Pocket Blazer – Topshop – £40

Why not try some white shorts which are great to cool down in on those hot summer days. There are also many styles available from tailored shorts to denim shorts.

Scallop Hem Shorts – Topshop – £30

Side Slit Crepe Shorts – Mango – £22.99

White Appliqué Detail Shorts – H&M – £19.99

Another perfect alternative summer outfit is a white playsuit. It could be worn both during the day and at night and would be great for a holiday or a formal occasion.

Tall Lace Back Playsuit – Topshop – £48

Parisian White Sunflower Crochet Playsuit – New Look – £24.99

Another great white piece is simple classic white jeans. The great thing about white jeans is that they come in so many cut varieties such as straight, skinny, bootleg, boyfriend, ripped and cropped.

Ripped Skinny Low Jeans – H&M – £29.99

Cropped White Skinny Jeans – New Look – £16.99

Supersoft Skinny Jeans – Warehouse – £40

If you’re not brave enough to put on white clothes why not use some white accessories instead like a white handbag shown below.

White Ullum Shoulder Bag – Aldo – £50

White Bag – H&M – £29.99

Sophie is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham, England. She is studying American Studies and would love a career in Journalism or Public Relations (preferably while living in NYC). Sophie has been a Fashion Blogger at HC Nottingham since she started at the University at Nottingham in 2012/13. She was also a Publicity Intern during her second year at HC Nottingham in 2013/14. She was a Campus Correspondent during her year abroad for HC Albany as well as contributing to writing for HC Nottingham. She is currently the Head of Publicity for Her Campus, as well as continuing to write fashion blogs. She is a self proclaimed fashion and make-up addict and she also enjoys travelling, reading, (excessively) watching TV shows and films, music, shopping and of course writing for Her Campus! 
Maddie studies American Studies at the University of Nottingham and is in her 4th year. She joined the Her Campus team on her year abroad at University of Illinois as a social media intern and now she and Anna are excited to open the University of Nottingham's chapter this September.