Star-Crossed Lovers: Is Star Sign ‘Compatibility’ Real?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

One of the key features to any good relationship is compatibility. Wouldn’t it be so much simpler if you knew if you were compatible with someone before you’d even opened your mouth to speak to them? That’s where star signs come in! Whether you’re someone who avidly checks their horoscope daily or would rather have a casual flick through the horoscope section in a magazine in the dentist’s waiting room, we’ve all heard the theory that some signs seem to get on better than others. But really, how true is this?

According to the “Ten million marriages: A test of astrological ‘love signs’’’ experiment from the University of Manchester, it could well be a load of nonsense. They concluded that your so-called ‘compatibility’ with other star signs had no relevance to marriage – or staying married to someone.

So are we now supposed to despair that a relationship hack believed in by many is once again proven to be useless? Of course not. Our horoscopes are supposed to apply to everyone in the world that falls into the same star sign, no matter our age, race, or gender. Therefore we’re all going to be different, and chances are you may not even relate to your supposed star sign traits anyway.

Besides, it would get boring if we were completely compatible with your significant other! In fact, clinical psychologist Ramani Dursvasula says that fighting ‘means you care about the relationship’, so embracing your disagreements can be a good thing.

So maybe we should all stop fretting about compatibility and enjoy our individuality instead. And if you’re someone who refuses to date any other sign than who you’re supposed to be most compatible with, throw caution to the wind – you never know, you might just find your perfect match!

Image Sources

Thumbnail

1

2

Web Sources

1

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!