Sophie Dunne: Fashion Society President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Meet Sophie Dunne, 4th Year American Studies Student, President of Fashion Soc and Head of Publicity for Her Campus Nottingham!

What does the term ‘fashion’ mean to you?

Fashion to me is an outer expression of personality. I prefer the term ‘style’; fashion seems so temporary but style is timeless and shows who you are to the world. Fashion is a form of creativity, in both the designing and the wearing of clothes.It’s played such a huge role in my life.

What got you interested in fashion?

I don’t know specifically what the starting cue was, but I have been obsessed with clothes and styles since a young age.

My step-mum used to take me shopping which always excited me; I’d go around the shops, try things on and ask her to buy me everything I saw (obviously I wasn’t that lucky). There’s just something so fun and experimental with it all.

So you must have been a true trendsetter at school?

*laughs* No, no not at all! But I’ve just always loved expanding my wardrobe and frantically subscribed to every fashion magazine I could, just to keep up to date with trends. I make sure to follow the latest fashion Blogs and write my own personal one too; here is the link if you want to check it out: http://makeupmanhattanandmarc.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1c

How important is it to you to look good? And to look good everyday?

Making an effort to look good is incredibly important. If you feel good on the outside, you feel good on the inside too and once again it expresses who you are. I like to put effort in most days, but of course wear something that’s comfortable too. Everyone has a lazy day once in a while, but those lazy days can be stylish in their own way.

Have you got a favourite brand?

I simply love Marc Jacobs. Mainly for the accessories, but clothing as well.

And then my favourite High Street brand is absolutely Topshop. Seriously, every time I walk by the shop I simply have to go in, no matter what!

And a favourite wardrobe staple?

At the moment, I absolutely adore bomber jackets combined with a good pair of ankle boots. Above all else, I love anything black!

So, how have you been involved with Fashion Soc?

Although I’ve been a member of the society since first year, I only got involved with the committee side this year. Initially, I just went to the socials to meet other fashionistas on Campus. Then, in my Second Year, I helped to organise the annual Fashion show in collaboration with Her Campus. I am organising another one for the end of this year. While it’s all very exciting, I am daunted by the prospect of being in charge this time!

So, are you enjoying being President of Fashion Soc?

I’m really enjoying it! I thought it may be a bit overwhelming at first but – touch wood – all is well! We had our first social on Tuesday to ‘Liquorice’ at Coco Tang. It was really fun and interesting to meet everyone who wants to be involved this year- anyone with a passion for fashion is welcome!

What exactly is FashionSoc? What do you get up to?

It is such a social society! We are not the kind of society that meet every week with a set agenda; we are much more chilled and laid-back. We’re here as a platform really for like-minded individuals with an interest in fashion to mingle. FashionSoc thrives on socials – we meet up regularly to simply discuss latest trends, whether that’s in a club or over some tea and cake in a quaint café.

Any other exciting events coming up?

We are in the process of planning so many trips! We’re hoping to go to the Birmingham Clothes Show and then maybe a day trip to London around Christmas. We’re also planning a trip to Paris around February/March to coincide with Paris Fashion Week. This is our main trip of the year and open to all our members, old and new; if anybody is interested in joining us now (it’s not too late!). We normally go for 4 days and it costs less than £150 for the whole trip!

Ooh exciting! I’m think I might join now! Do you write any other projects as a society?

We do have a Blog, although it’s not too serious as we don’t impose deadlines. If people are interested in writing something for us, we put it up online so it’s out there to be read! We welcome all ideas and posts, but we’re all really casual as a society and mainly here for our members to socialise and get to know each other that way.

So what about if members want to design and create fashion pieces?

Oh gosh yeah, that would be fabulous! We’re really open to any ideas really and so if pieces were made we’d definitely feature them in our Fashion Show and showcase it. On the other hand, if they just want to write or socialise then that’s fine too! We just want people to make friends and talk about their common interest- fashion!

Are guys welcome too?

Yes absolutely!! We have guys as members and they can come along to our social events and planned trips. Our competition runner up was a guy, and there have been more men this time around who have expressed interest, so that’s fab!

So, there’s no reason to be shy all you budding fashion men out there on campus!How can we find you online?

Exactly!

Well, we are on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. You merely have to search UoN Fashion and we should pop up!

Have you got anything planned in November?Yes, we will be meeting up for another social and really it’s all down to our members’ suggestions and preferences!

Edited by Immy Hibberd and Helena Kelly

Harry Potter Fanatic. What's life without a fresh, steaming coffee, a book to hand, and soaking in the London rain? Nox.