Sequins With Ashish: Spring/Summer 2015 Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

As a self-confessed Morticia Addams worshipper, it’s fair to say I generally steer away from any piece of clothing that is one shade too far away from black for comfort, or covered in sparkly sequins. I’m more of a block colour and big accessories kind of girl. However, after religiously flicking through reports and photos of one designer in particular from London Fashion Week this year I’m seriously re-assessing my fashion preferences.

If you haven’t heard of Ashish yet, it’s time for a swift Google of the name (maybe alongside the word ‘fashion’ otherwise you may start reading articles about various Indian actors). The man behind the brand, Ashish Gupta, is an actual genius in my eyes, with a real eye for the small details mixed with every single colour imaginable, layered with bright sequin detail and eye-catching printed designs. He’s clothed the likes of Victoria Beckham, M.I.A., and Madonna and he’s even won the New Generation fashion award 3 times, so it’s pretty clear that he’s a popular designer at the moment. One look at his designs and it’s easy to see why.

(Lily Allen is another celeb fan of Ashish – have you ever loved a pair of shoes so much that you snuggled up to them in bed….?)

Ashish’s show (try saying that out loud) at London Fashion Week was 100% shimmery, 100% sports luxe but not at ALL tacky. Take a look at my favourites…

We have a spectrum of colours, frayed rips in shiny jeans, fringing along the edges of tailored jackets, sequinned joggers, and big sparkly arm cuffs to accessorise the looks. Everything screams FUN and seeing as it’s fresher’s week, why not try and create this bright, happy vibe (before looming deadlines induce a grab-anything-that’s-clean frenzy)? Here is a selection of my favourite and affordable high street alternatives for all the brave ones out there:

(Topshop, £28)

(River Island, £25)

(ASOS, £16.50)

(ASOS, £6)

And for the reluctant ones who’d prefer to merely dip their toe into the world of sparkles rather than dive in head first:

(Topshop, £45)

(Zara, £25.99)

(ASOS, £28)

Bear in mind that wearing all these items at the same time may cause blindness amongst people within a 5-mile radius of you – I’m thinking more about investing in one key piece rather than going out in a Strictly Come Dancing ensemble. That being said, if you feel like resembling a glittering disco ball for the day, why the hell not? Wear this style with confidence and the sequins will do the rest.

Images taken from:www.showstudio.comhttp://instagram.com/lilyallenwww.vogue.co.ukwww.topshop.comwww.riverisland.comwww.asos.comwww.zara.com 

Edited by Jayde Richards

Final year English Language and Literature student. Likes: cheese, the colour black, and bearded men.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!