Sarah Dear – Impact’s New Editor-in-Chief 2014-15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This week, Her Campus caught up with Sarah Dear, who has just been elected next year’s Impact Editor-in-Chief. The job will see her juggle the 3rd year of her Philosophy degree and the full time role of running the magazine. Following in the footsteps of Antonia Paget and Emily Tripp, who shared the role of Editor-in-Chief this year, we wanted to know whether Sarah was looking forward to next year, or was apprehensive about taking control of such a successful student publication.

Congratulations on being elected next year’s Impact Editor-in-Chief! What are you looking forward to most? 

Thanks! I’m really looking forward to getting a new set of students involved with the magazine and seeing what our new team of editors will come up with over the year. It’s really exciting but quite daunting.

Is there anything that you are apprehensive about facing next year? 

I’m nervous about exposing big news stories! This year we’ve investigated quite a few problems at the University, like the Sutton Bonington hopper bus scandal and the recent investigation into PhD students. Some of our articles have attracted bad reactions but it’s important we highlight these problems at our university. I’m hoping next year’s news team will be great at finding issues and reporting on them.

What made you want to run for Impact Editor-in-Chief?

I’ve been working as Features Print Editor since last November and I was really enjoying it. Someone mentioned to me that I should consider running and I guess it just went from there! I like to think I’m quite a creative and organised person so the role really appealed to me. It’ll be really interesting to be involved in all aspects of the magazine and shape how it will change over the next year.

What are your plans for your year in charge of the magazine? 

There’s going to be some big changes made next year. For starters, we’re going to bring out less issues, and these will be bigger and better. We’re also going to increase our online content. I also want Impact to host more events, so keep an eye out for those too!

How long have you been involved with Impact, and what have been your highlights? 

I found out about Impact at Freshers’ Fair and have been involved ever since. I think my biggest highlight has been our latest issue and my lead on student drug dealers. I’d been talking about the idea for ages but the team weren’t sure it would actually happen given the risk involved for the students we needed to speak to. But luckily it came through! I’ve also really enjoyed taking photos for the style section and live blogging the SU elections results night. Tagging along to Impact Music’s interview with Bombay Bicycle Club to take photos was really cool too.

Is journalism a career path you might want to follow? 

It’s definitely something I’m considering, but I don’t want to limit myself to one career yet. I know I want a job where I can be creative, I’m just not sure what that will be! 

Tell us about anything else you’ve been involved with at university. 

I’ve been really involved with UoN Feminists this year which has been really fun. We’ve filmed video campaigns, passed a notion to boycott The Sun in the SU Shop and even talked about genitals on URN. It’s been a massive highlight for me.

Finally, tell us about yourself – anything funny or embarrassing we should know? Or maybe tell us who your celebrity crush is, and why!

I couldn’t possibly say… I’m an embarrassing person generally and especially after a few glasses of wine. Embarrassing things just seem to happen to me! I’m quite fickle with my celebrity crushes but at the moment I’ve been watching Gossip Girl and I really fancy Ed Westwick. Only with the American accent though!

Check out UoN’s Impact magazine on their website!
Beth Rowland

Nottingham

First year English and History student, aspiring journalist. If journalism fails, Strictly Come Dancing is the dream. Check out my blog at theyoungandqwerty@blogspot.co.uk
Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.